Chapter 7

Sophie

Ever since Jay has met Suki, he's been more lenient with the guards, even letting them stay outside while I sit with her and have my coffee. We don't always chat, if it's busy she keeps working and I get time to myself which I love. But we get to sit and chat most of the time, which is awesome, she is amazing.
We haven't talked about our own past yet. I'm sure she has one. Just like Stasia, I just know she has one even though Stasia never told me much, eventually, she let bits out and with every little bit she let out her story got more intense. I still don't know all of it but I've never needed to know the details to be there for someone I think as my family to help them. Stasia is everything to me, I just hope with everything that's been happening that we eventually get that back.

As for Suki, there is something like a gravitational pool, she must feel the same way for she watches over me like a big sister, the only difference between my friendship with Suki to Stasia is I'm older than Stasia by 5 years but Suki, I think is older than me. I've never asked her, she just has that presence about her, motherly or like a big sister feels.

I've just about got Keata ready when Jay walks out angry,

"What are your whereabouts today!?"
I look at him confused, not knowing why he's asking. He already knows my whereabouts and if he doesn't, he knows because his guard dogs tell him my every move.
"Same as normal, Keata has sign language school, I'll wait for her then go food shopping."
He's still looking at me with the same look on his face like he wants to kill me.
"Keep your phone on you, if I want you and Keata at the office, make sure you make your way there!"
I'm not sure what's going on so I just nod and respond, "Sure, are we going somewhere?" He still glaring at me and his face turns smug like there's a silent joke or something, "Why Sophie?.. you got someone to tell?" I have no idea what he's going on about. Shaking my head I just say, "No, just wondering if I need to change my clothes or bring a change of clothes for Keata! Is something wrong?" He just stares at me for a bit before he answers me like he's trying to figure out what the best thing to say is. Then what feels like a long time he blows out a breath and says, "No, I just want my wife and daughter at the office for appearances, go have your coffee date! I'll see you after that!"
He is acting differently, I can't put my finger on it. Just as I'm about to answer he walks out. Something is up, I can tell because we haven't been at his office! if I'm thinking about it, I haven't been at his office since what I walked in on before I left him and if he does that while I have Keata I will suffer the consequences and give him a piece of my mind. He hasn't even been hostile towards me, giving me space to be with Keata. I haven't even thought about why he's giving me space and why he's not demanding sex... I've just thought he must be getting it somewhere else, which I don't care about as long as it's not me, I'm safe.

It takes the noise of Keata's walking frame to pull me from my thoughts it's just out of our normal and I'm worried he's up to something, god I hope it's not bad news about Josh... I called him Josh because I know he will never meet his father, I wanted him to take at least one of his father's names, not that Jay knows Bullets real name, only as Bullet, he asked me repeatedly what his given name was, I kept saying I didn't know, that he only went by Bullet. I wasn't privy to his given name and thought that was his given name. He let me know how stupid I was thinking that and then only a slut would sleep with someone not knowing their real name. But I remember the night he told me his name like it was yesterday, it was magical, he is everything that all men are not. But Jay will never know that so I named my boy Josh after his father and told Jay it was my grandfather's name, and he allowed him to keep it, as far as I know, his new parents kept his name.
I send a prayer up hoping like mad it has nothing to do with Josh.
As soon as we are ready for sign language school we exit the front door.
I'll never get used to this huge house, as we head to the car that is waiting for us I see my so-called husband reverse out fast then when he is on the road he burns rubber sliding left then right and then takes off. He's never taken off like that, it's so out of character, god all the thoughts that come to my mind! I just hope it's not what my heart is telling me.
What I give just to tell his father everything... But that would put me and Keata at risk, I just hope that if he ever gets to know about his son, he understands why I did what I did. I hope he will forgive me, I mean I know there is no chance we will ever have a future together, I'd be stupid to think there was a chance for us with all the betrayal.. especially a child... that's unforgivable even in my eyes.

Before I know it we are walking into Keata's class, Keata is making her way to her new friends, they are all amazing together. I've always just stood and watched to see what they get up to, I've learnt heaps from Keata but to see her interacting with other kids is amazing.
After a while the teacher walks over and tells all the parents to leave, I see Keata look for me knowing it's time for me to go. I wave and blow her a kiss before I head to the cafe across the road with my flock of sheep that have nothing better to do but follow me all bloody day!
Because of the change in Jay today I'm expecting them to follow me inside but I'm surprised when they don't.
As I reach the front counter I'm wondering where Suki is, one of the other guys serves me.
I've seen him before but he's normally cooking, I'm sure of it. I just smile at him and make my order " strong flat white and a toasted ham and cheese please."
He smiles and rings it up,"$15.95 thanks."
I pass him my cash then take my number to a free table the only one is a booth down the back it's nowhere near the window so I take my number and sit there. I pull out my phone a check for any messages from Jay or maybe Suki, but there's nothing, just when I think I'm not going to see Suki, she comes my way with my order and hers.
"Hey Suki, I didn't think you were here today?" She smiles at me through gritted teeth then says,
"Nah I'm here." Instead of just putting the tray on the table and taking a seat she comes to me and hugs me and says in my ear, "I'm getting calls about you but I don't know if they're friend or foe, it's written on your serviette tell me what to do good or bad!" With that she pulls back takes a seat and places the food on the table, from the tray. Then gets up to get rid of the tray, as she's gone I see a name I'm not expecting. "PC" it's not Bullet but why would he be looking..... gawd he's found out about the baby... shit!
And he's got PC to come and get his son. My hands start to shake, I knew in my heart he'd never come for me but seeing that he sent PC to gather the info and not care about me...., it just ... hurts sooo bad. I don't even know why I'm surprised, I was sure I'd guarded my feelings to not be hurt.
I'm still staring at the note when Suki comes and screws it up and puts it in her front pocket, she sits down and takes a sip of her coffee then says, "Tell me what you can!" I hear her but don't answer. I don't know how to answer. I have no idea what to say or how to explain. What if Bullet wants me dead. Now? As soon as he finds his son would he do that to me? I shake my head, then hear Suki again, "Sooo not that friendly, that lying shit! I told him I'd find out if he was bullshitting me. I'll have his balls if he comes here and thinks he's all that. I'm sure he's fucked with my phone. He keeps sending random shit, that actually makes me laugh and when I send a reply back, it's not what I've wanted to say ... arghhh asshole!" I look at her then back at my coffee thinking what to tell her? decide to tell her, "They're dangerous, but I've got information his friend will want. But I'm not ready to give it yet! something different happened at home today and I'm a bit worried something else is going to happen!"
She just nods, "ok, so what do you want me to tell him?"
"I don't know! just say not now, that something is wrong!"
She reaches over and grabs my hand and smiles, "It's going to be ok Sophie. I'm here for whatever you need, even if it's a getaway car? I'll just drop everything and run with you if you ask. I know you live with trouble... but now it seems like it's coming from both directions... just let me know what you want and I'll sort it, honey ." I have a single tear slide down my cheek and grab my coffee as I take a sip I wipe it away wondering if it's time to tell someone. At least about the baby.... shit what if Jay has more tabs on me than I know about? What if this place is bugged? Shit, I can't risk it and what if Bullet is coming?
I've still got to go to his office and meet with Jay, what if he knows something and thinks I know something? ohh god, this is going to end badly I just know it!

Suki uses her magic skills and talks about her week. What she's been up to in the cafe, before I realise it, it's time for me to leave and grab Keata. I say goodbye and head towards Keata's school, she's waiting with her teacher. I must have been a bit late, because there are only 3 students left, without even thinking I walk to her a sweep her into my arms kissing her on her forehead, I'm lost in my thoughts while I'm cuddling my girl when her teacher asks,
"Is everything alright at home at the moment?"
I put on my fake smile and nod " Yes, great actually we are about to go to Keatas fathers work so he can show her around, should be exciting for Keata!" The teacher looks concerned but then gives me a small smile and says, "Well I hope she enjoys it, Keata has been out of sorts all day and clingy, it's out of character for her. Hope she cheers up at her father's workplace ." I'm not sure how to answer, Keata must have realised that's where we were going after school, she doesn't feel safe around her father, that! she has made clear. I nod at the teacher and tell her we will see her next week, but deep down I'm hoping we are going to see her next week, with Bullet coming up in conversation and Jay acting out of character? I don't have the best feeling about my future!