ONE

I don't remember what made me run away, I just remember that I needed to go. It was terrible back there, but I was too young to really understand what was going on. 7 years old, to be exact. I don't know how old I am now though, I never really kept track.

I was a smart child, I must admit. I was reading books, and painting little pictures with my even littler fingers. But my childhood was not the same as your average child. My mum left me for weeks on end and my dad drank this stuff.. I forgot what he called it.. but it made him hurt me, so much so, he gave me multiple large scars. I think that's what made me go, I think that's what gave me the courage to wake up in the middle of the night, and run straight out the door.

There is a forest near where I lived, and that's where I went. My little legs chugged along, almost as if they had a mind of their own, my body completely out of control, my night gown flailing behind me. It was cold, but I didn't care. All I was thinking about was getting the hell out of there.

When I hit the edge of the forest, I relaxed and fell onto the leafy, damp foliage beneath me. I panted, my little shoulders going up and down, my feet and legs aching. Suddenly, I felt a huge wave of ecstasy crash over me; I was free. I let out a sort of yelp, I was too tired to yell. The neighbour's dogs started barking, I think they were happy I was free too.

I trudged through the green blanket that surrounded me, even though my body was protesting. My legs ached, my head throbbed,and I was still panting heavily. But, I needed to find somewhere to sleep. Soon enough, I noticed a small pond that trickled down from the creek near it. There was a soft bed of moss covering the ground next to it, so I quickly clambered over the rocks and the foliage, and laid my aching head.