EIGHT

The trees groaned and whistled their goodbyes, and I could hear Kyte humming a tune. The iron roof wobbled and swayed and the clouds over head were pink-orange snakes slipping through the cracks in the sky.

"It's beautiful"

"Yeah." I replied, lost in a tidal wave of thoughts and emotions.

"So, where do we go from now?"

I laughed. "God knows."

"Wow, it's crazy that we are planning this journey, but we have no idea where we are even going."

"I'm not planning it. The best things in life happen when you don't plan it."

"It's like we are chasing after an invisible force."

I looked at her. "Wanderlust."

She stared at me, confused.

"That's the force that's compelling us to go. Not many people listen to it. It's human nature."

I jumped down from the roof of the shack, and pulled my bag down.

"Well, we shouldn't keep it waiting."

"Aren't you going to say goodbye?"

"No need." I smiled excitedly.

Kyte didn't argue.

"Alright then," Kyte held her bag and hit the ground with a thump, "Let's go!"

"Catch me!" I bolted off, my legs stretching out and folding before I can even think about it, but despite my sprinting, Kyte catches up to me, and we fall down to the ground laughing. The rising moon smiled upon our faces as we darted off, melting into the ebony blanket of the night.