TEN

"Don't move." I could barely get my shaky words out.

"O-ok."

I looked behind me. We couldn't run. No way, the bear would outrun us. I looked around, and noticed a small tree. I slowed backed away, towards the tree. Kyte looked at me, confused, and I beckoned her with my pointer finger.

The bear was looking at Kyte.

Then it started to charge.

Towards us.

I screamed as the bear started towards me. As it was nearing me, Kyte jumped up and punched it in the eye. It was stunned for a few seconds, then shook its head and snarled at me.

"Quick, up the tree!" Kyte yelled, and ran towards the tree near us.

We both sprinted towards the tree, but Kyte, who was far faster than me, went up first.

I jumped up onto the lowest hanging branch, my feet dangling for a split-second over the branch.

Apparently, a split-second was enough.

A sharp, agonizing pain shot through my leg. I looked down in fright to find my leg, covered in red, with three deep gashes down the side of my calf.

"Bambi!"

I looked up again, to find Kyte stretching her hand out, her eyes wide with fear and worry. My eyes were blurry, and my head was spinning. I mustered all my strength and managed to pull myself up onto the branch next to Kyte.

Then everything went black.