Nightmare at Ziggy's

The brick walls were all painted in blues and yellows.  The school mascot was painted on the gym building as a knight with a cross. Tattered posters of the past student council elections left remnants of the school year.

It was the middle of the week and the students were loud, there was something brewing, and everything felt abuzz.

Welcome to Padua University, one of the prestigious schools in the Philippines. If not THE prestigious school in the country. Or so they say.

  The best of the best go to this school

The best of the best go to this school. Doctors, lawyers, software engineers, future presidents, and white-collar criminals – who knows the difference when it comes to prestige? If you were a kid of someone of high value, it is either you go to Boston to study or you end up paying off someone in Padua University.

Anak ka ng General?  Sa Padua ka.  Anak ka ng Senador? Sa Padua ka.  Anak ka ng Doctor sa Makati Med? Sa Padua ka. Anak ka ng mayamang magnanakaw?  Malamang future mo sa Padua rin.

The campus was filled with beautiful colegialas with baguette handbags. The popular jocks wore maize and midnight blue varsity jackets. The lawns were manicured, the floors squeaked in all that wax, and photos of their numerous politicians were displayed everywhere in the Victorian inspired building.

The McDonald's by the school was filled with boisterous college students, bumping their car stereos blasting their music of choice. It was chaos. But that was the choice of chaos in Padua U.

Tumambay sa McDonald's meant many things. Cut class. Magpalibre. A quick fries and coke run but it was also a way to be on display.

The men ogled at the women.  The women judged everyone. Huge breakups happened there or at the quad. The Mercedes SUVs were all part of the show.  This was the culture of Padua U.

"Tangina, gusto ko lang naman magbanyo."

Narda Custodio doom scrolled on her instagram to get distracted in all this. She could never get used to it. No matter how many years she had spent in Padua. She kept her head down, carrying her backpack that almost seemed as big as her petite body.