Uso Pa Ba Ang Harana?

The sight of Narda embracing Sofia Quintana. This is why Narda had stopped messaging, Regina thought.

Regina blamed it on the sunset that gleamed in her piercing brown eyes. Regina blamed it on the fumes of smog around her that day.  Regina blamed it on her irrational thoughts. Regina blamed it on how easily she could give in with just little affection.   Regina blamed everything because she despised the tears in her eyes.

She swallowed air and instantly her eyes turned glassy.  Her stare became serpentine.   Like she had to dig deep into the callouses she had built around her spirit to get back to her senses.

"Just give the gift to her," Regina said nonchalantly, shoving the soft plush towards Ding's chest.

"Ha? Bakit —aalis ka na?" Ding sounded like he was frantic, trying to convince Regina to walk towards Narda.

"Tell her it is just a thank you. I still have to meet with my Dad ..."

And Regina ran.

This was the expertise of Regina Vanguardia.

Her venom.

The thing about Regina Vanguardia is her survival mechanism is always about pushing people away.

Deflection.

It is all about being abhorrent.

She's like a poisonous baneberry, beautiful and enticing in the forest but filled with destruction and venom.  She would rather hurt than be hurt.  She was built to be the shrew.

That is what the world molded her to be.

So when she saw Narda with her ex-girlfriend, Sofia, she knew she had to release her venom again.

She cussed.   Why did she delude herself into thinking that she could trust anyone?    She was irrational to think that she should have any affection for Narda Custodio.

The woman was her enemy, after all.

She slammed the door to her old Dodge car and she exhaled.  She felt the tears seeping in and her fingers had to dab her eyelids, it was wet.

  She felt the tears seeping in and her fingers had to dab her eyelids, it was wet

She quickly wiped it off.  She bit her lip, pacing herself.

She did not cry, she would not cry.

"You stupid girl— ang tanga tanga mo sa konting affection lang," there was a mocking smile on her lips, she admonished herself loudly.

She turned the keys to her engine and her car stereo blared "Fire For You" by the Cannons.  She briskly stepped on the gas and sped out of that narrow street by the dorm.

Stupid, stupid girl.