Chasing the Shrew

"Yiheeee! Para sa charity na yan!!"

The student chanted.  They were still in that small booth and each minute felt like suffocation for both of them.

Narda still kept holding onto the other woman's delicate hand.   They were still chained together, handcuffs were still on and the same chocolate brown eyes looked at her in disgust.

"So ano nga, Kamahalan? Papakasal na ba tayo o gusto mo two hours na stuck tayo dito? Holding hands sa posas," Narda wore her smug smirk with confidence.

"Let me go! What the hell do you want from me? Sinayang mo pera mo para dito?! Last time we talked --you hated me," Regina was yanking Narda's hand in persistence and resistance.

"Last I checked din po... you wanted to make it up to me? Yung trabaho ko? Yung laptop ko? Paano if napaisip din naman ako. Benefit of the doubt ba?" Narda said in a melodic sing-song tone.

God, she is so casual. I hate her smug face.

Regina squinted her eyes, like she wanted to light Narda in flames with her menacing stare.

"I don't trust you, napakatwo face mo naman bigla. What is this a prank?! Shit!"

"Ok lang naman saakin ito, Your Majesty. Cute nga. Holding hands na halos tayo dito sa posas.  Sweet, noh?" Narda shrugged nonchalantly. Lifting their handcuffs with a sly grin.

"How can you even smile in this situation?! Ugh!"

Regina gritted her teeth. She started to get lost in her swirling thoughts. She realized she was sweating profusely. She could feel her mascara melting. Her top was feeling wet with the sweltering heat, the humidity smothering her.

And probably being handcuffed to the peppy Narda at this close proximity was going to be torture.

Uncomfortable.

No, not uncomfortable... downright, despicable.

"Dahil mamatay na ako dito sa init. I will go with this stupid jailhouse wedding... with a few conditions," Regina huffed in exasperation, still glaring at Narda.

"Ah laging may demands si ma'am..."

"I will go with your stupid kwek kwek set-up but only for two hours, at most. I have a strict schedule to follow. Second, you are not going to try anything with me. Keep your damn hands to yourself during the date. Marunong ako mag Krav Maga, Custodio..."

Narda showed her hands and did the sign of the cross. Fluttering her eyelashes like an angel, promising she would be behaved.

"And third, this is NOT a date. This is a favor. Your peace offering. For charity. Do not go around telling people we dated."

"Ok po."

"I do not date people na hindi papapasa sa height requirement ng roller coaster sa Enchanted Kingdom," Regina sneered, her words enunciated carefully, full of her usual haughtiness.

"Deal. Tapos ka na, Kamahalan?"

---------------

For richer ... for poorer.  In sickness and in health.  Until parted by Padua University fair.

Narda did not know what got her this far.  There was a sudden coldness in the air. Or was it her nerves?

Her hands felt cold as she held tightly on to Regina.

She was now face to face with the woman she utterly hated.  With the woman that stood for everything she found unreasonable.

It was an offer she should have refused.