Chapter 41 - Opia

(Tw!) Fighting, threatening, etc. 

Happy Monday y'all, I actually really like this chapter, so I hope you guys do too <333

Opia - the ambiguous intensity from looking someone in the eye.

___________________

Izuku's feet hung off the building's roof, waving slightly in the wind. This spot oversaw the entire city and let him feel more in control. He could see them, but no one could see him. It was still a twisted sort of comfort that he knew stemmed from his trauma, but he was in no position to deal with that at the moment.

It was serene up here, no chatter or unnecessary noise, just the wind and whatever background noise the building's AC provided. That was until Izuku heard a scream.

It was very obviously a boy's voice in pain, which worried him slightly. What if there were more bullies or another cat was in trouble? 

He told himself that if it were so he wouldn't be able to live without guilt, though he knew that truly he was yearning for the rush of adrenaline that came with fighting another person and that he didn't want to admit it to himself. What kind of person likes to inflict that kind of suffering on another? Izuku didn't want to become that.

Izuku crept to the edge of the building, peering over to see what was happening below. There he saw bright red flames rising in the alley. He panicked for a second before realizing that they were contained and not spreading. It was a quirk? It was too difficult to see the person under the flame because of the smoke, but the flames only assisted in highlighting the face of the young teen across the alley, bleeding heavily and clutching their arm tightly, while also covered in burns. It was very obviously broken, and the boy was in no state to fight, even if not considering his injuries.

The boy looked malnourished and unhealthy, probably another one of the unfortunate children that was left on the streets for one reason or another.

A gust of wind blew through the alley, shifting the flames for a brief second allowing Izuku to see who was behind it.

Endeavor? Why would a hero look to hurt a teen like that? Especially to that extent?

When the wind died down slightly Izuku could hear shouting from the alley from Endeavor. Something about the boy being a thief, a villain, and disgusting? Izuku doubted that the boy was stealing much other than food, and even then it was obvious that he needed some, he wouldn't make it the next week without something of sustenance. If Izuku could see that, shouldn't the hero who dedicated his life to that be able to see it?

Izuku's brows furrowed as Endeavor positioned himself to throw flames at the boy in the middle of his monologe. That would kill him, Izuku realized.

With sudden haste Izuku jumped down feet first, aiming for Endeavour's outstretched wrist. He didn't want to land in the flames, but he couldn't stop them directly. Redirecting would have to do.

One second of cold biting air around his face was followed by the stabbing heat of Endeavour's flames around his feet. He could almost feel the damaged skin start to bubble, but the adrenaline from the fall was starting to kick in, and Izuku only felt excited. He wanted to fight Endeavour, not only to protect the boy in the corner, but to fill his own selfish desires of power and adrenaline.

Izuku glanced at the boy, taking note that he had scuttled himself into a corner, and quickly looked back at Endeavour, a smile crossing his face.

"Is it really a hero's job to murder children?" he asked. It probably wasn't the best idea to instigate an extremely powerful hero with an obvious preference for murder, but Izuku couldn't stop himself, it was just too tempting.

"What are you!? Some small fry vigilante who thinks they can stop me?!" Endeavour roared, a smirk adorning his face at what he believed to be his certain victory. He was the type who reveled in their power over others. He enjoyed suppressing and harming others, it made Izuku sick.

"I guess you could say that." Izuku smiled, tilting his head. He wondered how angry he could make the homicidal hero. Would he explode? Literally and figuratively.

Endeavour snarled in response, quickly launching his arms towards Izuku's neck in an obvious attempt to choke him out. Izuku ducked quickly, stepping closer to the large man and punching him in the face. It was a very unexpected attack for the man who thought his hit would land without fail, though Izuku wasn't naive enough to think that his simple punch would leave much of a dent on the bulk of a man, though the bruise forming was enough to make Izuku smile.

Endeavour lunged again, and Izuku ducked again before taking aim for another punch. This one was no different as Endeavour's other cheek was bruised. It seemed like the large man was a little too used to only beating others smaller than him, and not used to dodging their punches.

Izuku laughed this time, and then Endeavour really did explode. Flames burst out of his body and Izuku jumped back. Fire licked at his skin, but he couldn't feel it over the blood pumping through his veins. He didn't mind either way, the pain only made him feel more alive.

As flames filled the alley Izuku used the resulting smoke to hide from the hero, grabbing the now unconscious boy from the corner.

Izuku would have loved it if he could have infuriated Endeavour more, but he knew that he and the boy wouldn't survive the encounter. Endeavour was the second rated hero for a reason, and Izuku was lucky to have survived thus far.

With smoke still obscuring everyone's vision, Izuku managed a quick escape through the raging inferno, with a few minor burns as a result.

Running down the street holding someone equal his size was not easy for Izuku, every few steps his feet stumbled and he thought that his legs would give out, but he managed to push on, though he didn't know if it would be enough to outrun the stampeding bull of a hero behind him.

Endeavour was slow for a hero, but Izuku definitely couldn't even match that pace in his conditions. The only thing that was saving him was the knowledge of the surrounding city and the twists and turns that briefly lost the large hero. Izuku's only presiding hope was that he would be able to lose Endeavour near his home.

As he took another step Izuku's knee gave out briefly before righting itself, but it was enough time to allow Endeavour to send a torrent of flames towards him. With a quick roll to the left Izuku dodged most of the flames while somewhat shielding the boy he was carrying.

Still on the ground Izuku attempted to move his legs, but found very suddenly that he couldn't. Any attempt to move his legs ended in short spasms.

Endeavour was stomping towards him, and Izuku could almost feel the ground shake with the foreboding steps. Moving himself along with his hands, Izuku shielded the still unconscious boy underneath him.

"How's being a vigilante now?! Do you still feel as strong?!" Endeavour laughed with a maniacal smile spreading across his face while moving his hands to aim towards Izuku. "I'm sure you feel great, right?" His voice dripped with malicious sarcasm, as smoke started to billow out of his hands. "I'll enjoy watching you die." He growled out at last while Izuku closed his eyes.

He was exhausted and couldn't find the energy to speak, let alone move. Running away for so long had taken the last bit of energy, and he couldn't find it in himself to run when something so tempting as death was just around the corner. Even if it was coming from a heap of a man who Izuku didn't consider worthy enough to lick his big toe.

Izuku sat there with his eyes closed for a second, then another, waiting for Endeavour to finally send the flames towards him, but none came.

Izuku cracked open an eye, still expecting an attack, only to see the dark form of a man separating Endeavour and himself.

"What do you think you're doing, Eraserhead!?"