Chapter 4

Two weeks before the school holidays ended, there was another full moon. I was getting really sick of them. They used to be okay, but now people I knew were actively trying to end my life. I didn't know if I should go to Myers Forest, but I wasn't sure where else to go.

I waited in a clearing as the moon rose. Everything seemed peaceful, but that was how it always was. I was listening carefully, wanting to catch any howls from Myers Harbour's new wolves. Unfortunately, the only sound I heard came from hunters.

"This way!"

"Over here!"

They were getting close, only I wasn't sure which direction they were coming from, so I didn't know where to run. Then I realised it was all of them. I was boxed in.

My tail instinctively tucked between my hind legs. I scanned the forest around me frantically, looking for a way out. That was when I heard the howls a second time; one long, loud howl followed by several slightly quieter howls. Even though I wasn't completely sure werewolf hierarchies included alphas, I assumed the first howl had been an alpha.

The noises around me went quiet and suddenly I was alone.

I ran as fast as I could to another part of the forest so that they wouldn't find me in the same place. I slowed. I had about five seconds to relax before the old voices were replaced with new ones, and steps pounded in my direction. Can't a girl catch a break?

I sped up again and reached the cliff. This cliff didn't have a beach below it, just jagged rocks and churning ocean. I stared down as a few loose pebbles rolled over the edge of the cliff. I spun around in time to see a few small groups of hunters find me at the same time. There were close to 20 people between me and the forest. I obviously couldn't go out to sea, so either I would have to trying jumping the human wall, or I would have to fight. Neither option seemed very promising.

One of the hunters spoke into his walkie-talkie. "We've got 'er. Unit 17. Hurry."

The walkie-talkie crackled as someone replied, "On it. Be right there."

It wasn't like in the movies. There was no saying 'over' after every sentence, or any double checking 'do you copy'. Honestly, I was disappointed.

The circle widened as more hunters filled in the gaps. I didn't stand a chance. If I didn't die in the next five minutes, it would be a miracle. I didn't recognise many of the hunter scents, so they were probably from Liam's group, not Ryan's.

A walkie-talkie crackled again. I couldn't make out what it said because it crackled out of time with the other walkie-talkies. They all seemed to be receiving a message at the same time. It was repeated. "Get out of there. Now. More wolves headed your way."

The hunters dispersed quickly, never once turning their backs to me.

One hunter stepped towards the cliff after the others had left. He was wearing a sort of ninja outfit and he looked really stupid. It covered most of his face.

He beckoned to me. "Come on. Quick. What are you waiting for?!"

I recognised his scent. It was Liam.

"Move it!" He skirted around me and shoved me from behind. "Hurry!"

I finally moved. He jogged in front of me, beckoning and holding up his hand for me to stop. He checked every clearing before we passed through it. How could he be sure it was me? There were other werewolves in Myers Harbour now, too.

"Freeze!" someone shouted.

I froze, but Liam kept going. When he realised I wasn't behind him, he tried to come back, but he couldn't get to me without the other hunters seeing him.