Chapter 14

No one was talking to me. Everybody blamed me for Nick's death again, even though I didn't do it! Apparently obstruction of justice is just as bad as actually murdering someone. It's not like any of them would have turned Derek in if they were in my position.

Derek had stopped coming to school and since he didn't have a phone, I couldn't call him. I hoped nothing had happened to him, but he was probably just laying low after Flora had told him what happened.

In drama on Monday morning, I sat by myself. We were supposed to be starting a whole class production. Instead, Mr Ledeki put on a video of a play. I don't know why he changed the lesson plan, but I was glad he did.

We spent most of the lesson in silence. Or I did, anyway. Most of the other students were whispering and laughing and generally having a good time. I guess when you don't have a brother who murdered someone, it's easier to make friends, or at least keep them.

I was fully expecting everything to suck for the rest of my life, but when I arrived in English, nothing had changed. Everything was the same as it had always been. Claire still talked to me and Kyle and Mason were still going to school. They didn't seem very happy with me, but they still talked to me. Because Claire was there, they had to act like there was nothing wrong.

"Hey, Charlie." Claire smiled at me as I sat down.

"Hi." I smiled back.

Mason gave me a strained smile from across the table. Kyle hadn't arrived yet.

He walked through the door right as Mr Greene started talking. "Today—" He raised an eyebrow. "Good morning, Kyle. How nice of you to join us."

Kyle took his seat without saying anything.

Mr Greene continued. "Today we will be looking at our new text, Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. As I am sure all of you have read it, there will be a pop quiz on the book. Please clear your desks."

Grumbling, the rest of the class moved their laptops and copies of the text onto the floor. Mr Greene walked around, handing out the pop quizzes.

Claire looked excited. I knew she had read the book and loved it. I had only finished it yesterday because I had had nothing better to do.

I scanned the pop quiz. It was three pages long. A few of the answers on the first page were multiple choice, but after that there was space for us to write the answers. Actually, they were all multiple choice, but every question after the first page had only two options: a) short answer or b) I didn't read the book. The short answer option had a few lines for us the write the answer. Without even looking at Claire, I knew she had already filled in the whole box of the first short answer question as was finishing her answer underneath it.

The first question was easy if you had read the book. 'What was the name of Janie's second husband?' My options were a) Johnny Taylor b) Jodie Starks c) Logan Killicks d) Mr Washburn. I circled b and moved on.

I was already bored. I looked up and caught Mason watching me across the table. He looked down when I met his gaze. He was probably upset with me, too. He hadn't killed Nick, but Riley would probably still be upset that he had known and hadn't told her. Then again, maybe she wouldn't realise he knew. I really hoped she didn't because their relationship couldn't take this. I turned back to my pop quiz.

I was deep in thought when Claire nudged me. Mr Greene was standing at our table collecting up the pop quizzes. I handed mine to him and he scanned it briefly before moving on to the next table. Someone on that table hadn't answered any of the questions, so Mr Greene told him off a bit before he collected up the rest of the quizzes.