Chapter 15

I had thought I wouldn't see Liam for a long time after the field trip, but I was wrong. It was the first time in a long time that I didn't mind.

There were only a few weeks left in the school term and I decided to go off school grounds in my free on Monday. I walked into town and sat down in the diner. Everyone was still mad at me so I had pretty much resigned myself to sitting alone, but I didn't have to. After I sat down, Liam walked through the door and sat down next to me. It was as though he had known I would be here.

I turned in my seat to face him. "Hi."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Is this seat taken?"

I rolled my eyes. "Liam!"

"Is that a no?"

I giggled and he laced his fingers through mine.

The waitress walked over to us, smiling. "Hi again, you two. What can I get for you?"

"Um, could I get an ice tea please?" I asked.

"Make that two ice teas," Liam said quickly, which made the waitress laugh.

"Sure. I'll be right back." She left and came back a few minutes later with our drinks.

Liam was very pleased that his ice tea had come quicker than last time. He leaned over and whispered to me, "I think I'm growing on her."

I grinned. "You grew on me."

We drank our drinks in silence.

Liam finally said, "I know I shouldn't be asking this, but do you know anything about that hunter that died?"

I stared at him.

"Oh, no, I just meant from your friends. I didn't think you had anything to do with it," he added after realising what it sounded like he was asking.

I shook my head nervously. "Not much. He was my friend's brother and they thought he was killed by a werewolf but it wasn't a full moon."

"Did they catch whoever did it?"

"No."

Liam stilled.

"What is it?"

He shook his head. "Nothing. It's just that...only alphas can turn when it's not a full moon, which means there's one in Myers Harbour. And if they haven't caught it yet..."

Liam seemed genuinely scared. Derek wasn't going to hurt anybody. I knew he wouldn't.

He turned to me and said earnestly, "If you ever don't feel safe, you know you can come to me, right? We'll protect you."

"What are you talking about?"

"I know you might be worried about the other wolves out there, but I won't let them hurt you. I promise." Liam squeezed my hand. Why did everyone think I needed protecting?

"Um, thanks." Liam didn't seem to notice my scepticism.

We had finished our drinks and Liam had to go. He was meeting some friends for lunch.

"I'll see you 'round. Stay safe, Charlotte." He kissed me goodbye and left.

The waitress leaned on the counter and raised an eyebrow at me. "Just friends, huh?"

~

It was almost Christmas and we were about to go on winter break. It wasn't anywhere near as long as summer vacation, but it was still something everyone looked forward to. I was excited because hopefully all the hunters would go away for Christmas and we would get to stay in Myers Harbour. I had almost sent Santa a letter asking for it, but I hadn't wanted anyone else to read the letter if it was intercepted.