Chapter 10

Flora was still mad at me on Monday. She wouldn't acknowledge me in the hallway and she almost opened her locker in my face when I walked past it.

"What's up with her?" Mason asked.

"She's your sister. Don't you know?" I pouted gloomily.

Kyle squinted. "Is this some kind of girl thing we couldn't possibly hope to understand?"

"I don't understand it," I muttered.

"Okay...Should we ask her what's up?"

I sighed. "I sort of know what's up. She's mad at me because I told her she shouldn't hang out with this guy she likes."

Mason went pale. "She has a crush?"

Kyle chuckled. "Calm down, dude. It's normal."

"Not for my baby sister it's not."

"She's not a baby. Speaking from experience, I can tell you that getting in the middle of Flora's potential relationships is a bad idea because she will ice you out." I watched as Flora walked past with a bunch of her Myers Harbour friends. She was apparently very popular.

A couple of guys at their lockers watched wistfully as Flora passed. Mason's eyes flashed and he let out a low growl.

"Tell me who the guy is so I can go rip his face off."

Kyle looked worriedly at his friend. "Uh, I don't think that's the best idea. Maybe we should go outside and get some fresh air."

Mason growled again.

"Shhh," I hissed. "We're at school, remember?"

Mason glared at the boys eyeing his sister. "Now I know why she likes school so much."

"I'm pretty sure that's not it. Come on." Kyle tried to lead Mason outside but he wouldn't budge.

The bell went and I had to go to class. "You'd better get to class."

Mason didn't move.

"Seriously, you should. If you miss too much class for no reason, they might expel you and then you won't be able to spy on your sister anymore." I knew it wasn't true, but Mason hopefully didn't.

He moved grudgingly toward his locker. "She'd better not get a boyfriend. If she brings him home, I'll kill him."

I watched him trudge off down the hallway. If Derek was anything like that, I was doomed to be single forever.

~

Liam and I had made plans to meet up at the diner after school, so that's where I went. He was already there when I arrived.

"Why are you always early?"

"What do you mean?"

"You just always are." I sat down next to him at the counter.

"I'm not early, but I'm on time a lot."

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, but when other people are late, 'on time' looks like 'early'."

Liam twisted in his chair to face me. "Rough day?"

"A little. One of my friends hates me."

"Why?"

I shrugged. "It's a long story and I don't really get it. Basically, she likes this guy but I think she should stay away from him."

"Is he bad news?" Liam asked.

"Not exactly. He's a good guy, he's just not good for her."

"So it's more subjective?"

"No. He's objectively bad," I said matter-of-factly.