Chapter 11

I was so close to being allowed to watch cheer try-outs, but then Bree kicked me out.

"These are closed try-outs. Squad members only." She shoved me out the door and closed it in my face.

Hayden was outside.

"Hi."

"Hey. What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same question."

He smiled sheepishly. "Bree asked me to 'send in the next one' so that everyone doesn't see everyone's try-outs."

"Oh. I'm here because I was under the impression I would be allowed to watch, but I was wrong."

Hayden was sympathetic. "Bree kicked you out?"

"Yep."

Hayden's phone buzzed and he checked it. Leaning out of the gym doorway, he called to the first girl in the long line, "You're up!"

She walked slowly past us. She was shaking.

"So you're here all night?" I asked.

Hayden shook his head. "Just until they finish."

"So all night?"

He laughed. "Maybe."

"Want some company?"

"Sure. But why do you want to spend your Friday night at school?"

I shrugged. "I've got nothing better to do."

The girl walked back out looking slightly less terrified and Hayden sent in the next candidate.

"Anyway, how's life?"

"Good, I guess. You haven't talked to Flora since Friday, have you?" I asked.

Hayden shook his head. "Not really. We said hi in the hallway a couple of times but that's about it. Why?"

"No reason."

The second girl walked out, crying. She looked very upset. I guess her try-out went badly. Hayden motioned the next girl into the gym. The girl behind her stepped up to the doorway to wait.

"Hey, Hayden." Flora grinned. "I didn't know you'd be here."

Hayden smiled back. "I didn't know you'd be here either."

"How's it going?" Flora twisted a strand of her sandy-brown hair around her finger.

"Good. Did you finish your movie?"

Flora shook her head. "Nah. It got boring."

I shot her a look and she ignored me.

Hayden stuck his hands in his pockets. "So you like cheer, huh?"

"Yeah. I've been wanting to try out for ages, but my last school didn't really have a squad."

"It's good you're trying out now," Hayden commented.

The third girl walked out of the gym.

"You're up," Hayden said.

Flora took a deep breath. "Wish me luck."

"Good luck." Hayden looked after her as she entered the gym.

I glared at him. "Seriously?"

"What? I didn't do anything," he protested.

"She's too young for you." I started angrily away from the gym. "Have a good weekend!"

~