Six

Briar

Ugh, I was hoping that slimy bastard wouldn't show up today. I really thought we were in the clear, but of fucking course he would show up when I finally detached from Jake to run to the bathroom. I've hated that sorry excuse for a man for as long as I can remember, and probably even before that.

The oldest memory I have when it comes to Jake and his dad, is Jake telling me his dad yelled at him if he got in trouble at school...in kindergarten. The first memory I have of satan's spawn himself is when I tripped and bumped into Jake, making him drop his juice cup when we were in first grade. Yelling is putting it lightly when it comes to describing how Elijah Seresin talked to his youngest son.

"You're always such a disappointment, Jacob! Why can't you be more like your brother?" He had scoffed, roughly knocking into a teary eyed Jake as he passed him. Jake had always been the one to keep the mean kids away from me and Brooks since we were always a little smaller than everyone else, being twins and all. He was always the first person to stand up to the bully. Seeing him that upset over something that wasn't his fault made my little 6 year old heart hurt and I told my mom I never wanted to see the mean man again when I had gotten home. Unbeknownst to me, that was the final straw for Jake's mama to leave his dad. My mom had apparently called her to relay what I had told her, and she packed hers and Jake's things that very night and came to stay with us the next day.

I'm broken out of my haze when Jake's hand pats my thigh. "You ok, tiny?"

I smile up at him, so thankful he's nothing like his father. "Just fine, but I bet I'll be much better once we're alone," I smirk, playfully kissing his cheek as I stand up. "Ready to make the goodbye rounds? We lasted a full..." I glance down at my watch to check the time. "35 minutes longer than Brooks and Mallory, so I think we're in the clear."

I link my fingers in the giant paw he calls a hand and try to pull him out of the chair. Jake laughs at the effort I'm putting forth, because he's solid muscle and outweighs me by at least 80 pounds and is almost a foot taller than me. Obviously, he doesn't even budge, but he humors me and stands as I pull at him once again. We receive lots of hugs and "it's about damn time!"s, and Jake is thanked for his service more times than I can count. To his credit, he was honestly grateful to everyone and wore a genuine smile the whole time. When we finally make our way to my parents and his mom, the two mother hens are misty eyed and hugging each other.  My dad notices this and gives them a good natured hard time. 

"Good Lord, you two!  He just got back from war, he's not leaving for it!"  Both our moms land a backhand across his stomach, making him let out a loud oof!

"Jeez!  Audrey, remember whose warm back you put your cold toes on at night!  And Evelyn, I will withhold my world famous peanut butter fudge if you hit me any harder!" Dad huffs, making us all gasp. 

"Now, daddy.  That's just cruel!" I frown at him, making him sigh.

"Solid point, angel face.  I recall my previous statement.  Jake, son, I'm so proud of you.  Thank you for keeping Brooks safe, I don't know what I'd do if I lost either one of my boys.  It goes without saying, but thanks for taking care of our girl too.  We've always trusted her in your hands, and now is no different.   Rory, I'm proud of you too, surgically removing candles from dark corners nobody ever wants to see is a job none of us want, so of course you're involved," he teases the last part to cut through the rising emotion. "Now, you drive safe.  We love you both so much," he tells us, and soon we're wrapped in a giant hug and surrounded by the three people who built the foundation of our family.  Dad's use of my nickname, Aurora- which somehow got shortened to Rory- comes from me being named after Sleeping Beauty, and it warms my heart every time I hear it.