Nine

Briar

I had a solid week of Jake and Brooks being home before they were sadly expected back in DC for highly classified debrief. The days they were here and I wasn't working were spent in bed or hanging out with the newly engaged couple. Which brings us to where I am now; wondering what the actual fuck I'm gonna do. The boys aren't sure if they'll be sent to new squadrons or back to Fallon in Nevada, which has Mallory and I in limbo over whether or not we should turn in our notice at our jobs and start looking elsewhere or hold off for a little bit. 

When Jake and I finally gave in and wanted to give this a real shot, we knew it was for the long run.  There wasn't any doubt that the end goal was marriage and babies for us, it was something we agreed on so many years ago.  While we were in bed a few nights ago, the night before they flew out, Jake asked if I was open to moving to be with him, wherever that may be.  Given that Mal is absolutely going wherever her fiancé will be and her fiancé is both my brother and my boyfriend's backseater, it was a no brainer.  I would honestly have followed her even if Jake and I weren't a thing, we're each others person and I don't think I could handle us being permanently separated.

I have no idea what the boys are up to, but I miss Jake and decide to mess with him from afar. I pull up our text thread and send him a picture of what I'm wearing to a coworker's birthday party later.

Knowing he's probably in the middle of a highly classified meeting and his phone is likely in a SCIF box, I don't expect an immediate reply so I tidy up around the house a little bit before Mallorie is due to get here

Knowing he's probably in the middle of a highly classified meeting and his phone is likely in a SCIF box, I don't expect an immediate reply so I tidy up around the house a little bit before Mallorie is due to get here. Twenty minutes later, my phone dings. I check it, expecting it to be Mallorie telling me she's here and to get my ass outside, and am happily surprised to see Jake's reply.

I cackle at his response, he's waited for forever to use that picture

I cackle at his response, he's waited for forever to use that picture. Before I can send back a reply, my phone starts ringing in my hand and Jake's handsome face pops requesting FaceTime. I answer immediately, and he doesn't even let me say hello before he starts in on me.

"Honey, you can't be doing that to me. You're gonna get me kicked out of the Pentagon for indecent exposure!" Jake whines through the phone.

"Sorry, lieutenant. I couldn't help myself." My giggles are interrupted by Mal honking the horn outside. "Looks like my ride is here, I gotta go!"

I gather up my bag and head towards the garage, ready to hop in the car.

"Behave, B," comes a growly command from my favorite pilot (sorry Rook).

"But it's so much more fun when I don't! You've never complained." My voice is filled with mischief and I smirk widely.

A deep groan sounds through the phone. "You're gonna be the death of me, I swear to God. Love you, Bry. Be safe and text me when you get home, ok?"

My stomach flutters at his growl and my heart does at protective nature. "Will do. Love you, Flyboy. Go save the world some more!" With that, I hang up and shut the passenger door. Mal smiles at the sheer joy on my face.

"My ship is finally sailing!" She squeals before zipping us off to the lake.

The party is as fun as I expect it to be and by the time we dock, I'm more than happy to be headed home. As promised, I fire off a text to Jake when Mal drops me off to let him know I'm home. My phone rings again within seconds of sending the message.

"Well hello, handsome. Missed my face that much?" I tease when his face fills my screen once more.

"Of course, my gorgeous girl. But, I had news that I wanted to share but tell you face to face. Since I don't see that happening soon, FaceTime was the next best option."

My heart kicks up speed in my chest as worry fills me. Jake sees the panic cross my face and is quick to recover.

"It's good news, honey. I swear!"

I let out a deep breath and motion for him to continue.

"Rook and I have been assigned to a new squadron based out of Fightertown. Given the success of the...ahem...out of country trip we took, the entire Dagger team is being asked to form our own squadron and be based out of San Diego...permanently." The megawatt smile that only few people get to see shines through the screen and I almost drop the phone in shock.

"Ohmygod JAKE! That's amazing! I'm so proud of you!" Screaming in excitement, I can't help but jump around and do my happy dance, which has Jake chuckling on the other end of the phone.

"I still have to go back Fallon to pack the house and tie up some loose ends work wise, but they have us signing into North Island permanently in about two weeks. I know it's super quick, so no rush getting everything sorted out on your end. As long as you're still up for coming out here! No pressure, honey. I know we-"

Jake starts talking himself into circles, a side of him only the Fantastic Four have seen. I'm quick to cut off his insecurities and interject quickly.

"Jacob Seresin, I'd move into a cardboard box under a bridge in Seattle if that's what it took to be with you. Besides, my nursing license makes it possible to work almost anywhere and there's a clause in my rental agreement on the house for this reason. I planned on moving whenever and whenever Mal did, so we've have this planned for a while. No sweat, flyboy." I grin at him over the phone and can see the tension melt off of his face.

"You did always talk about living near the beach, darlin'. Now we get to do it together." The softness in his tone melts my heart and snaps my eyes to his. There's so much joy, excitement, and hope in his bright green eyes that I could cry.

I'm sure my eyes reflect the same when I reply.

"I can't wait."