Chapter Twenty - Six - Breakdown

Daryl was held up in a rundown bungalow with Beth, drinking moonshine. He felt tired, numb... heartbroken. He didn't know if Hedley was alive or dead or injured somewhere. He didn't know if his brother or son were still breathing... it hurt. He took a swing, letting the drink burn his throat.

"So first I say something I've never done and if you have done it, you drink, and if you haven't, I drink." Beth said, weirdly chipper, "Then we switch. You really don't know this game?"

"I never needed a game to get lit before."

"Okay, I'll start." She thought for a moment then said, "I've never shot a crossbow. So now you drink."

"Ain't much of a game." Daryl huffed, taking a swing.

"That was a warm-up. Now you go. Just say the first thing that pops into your head."

"Uh, I've never been out of Georgia."

Beth's eyebrows rose, "Really? Okay, good one." She took a drink. "I've never been drunk and did something I regretted."

"I've done a lot of things." Daryl said, taking a drink.

"Your turn." She reminded.

"I've never been on vacation."

"What about camping?"

"No, that was just somethin' I had to learn to hunt."

She took a drink. "Your dad teach you?"

"Mm-hmm. 'N' Merle."

She took a moment to think and said, "I've never been in jail. I mean, as a prisoner."

"Is that what ya think of me?" Daryl frowned, eyes hard.

"I didn't mean anything serious." She defended, "I just thought, you know, like the drunk tank. Even my dad got locked up for that back in the day."

"Drink up." Daryl said.

"Wait!" Beth exclaimed, "Prison guard! Were you a prison guard before?"

"No."

Daryl started to get agitated, loudly going off to take a piss.

"Don't stomp." 

"Can't hear you! I'm taking a piss!"

"Daryl, don't talk so loud."

"What, are you my chaperone now? Oh, wait. It's ma turn, right?" He shouted, face red with anger, "I've never-- never eaten frozen yoghourt. Never had a pet pony. Never got nothing from Santa Claus! Never relied on anyone for protection before! Hell, I don't think I've ever relied on anyone for anything!"

Beth's eyes watered, "D-Daryl."

"Never sung out in front of a big group out in public like everything was fun. Like everything was a big game. I sure as hell never cut my wrists looking for attention!" Groans of a walker was heard from outside, Daryl sprang up, "Sounds like our friend out there is trying to call all of his buddies."

"Daryl, just shut up."

"Hey, you never shot a crossbow before? I'm gonna teach you right now." He grabbed her arm and dragged her outside, "Come on. It's gonna be fun!"

"Daryl, cut it out! - Daryl!"

They struggled, Daryl getting more and more aggressive as his emotions exploded. Beth struggled. He tried to get her to have fun and shoot the walker, Beth had none of it and stabbed the walker.

"Why ya do that for?" He yelled, "We were havin' fun!"

"No, you were being a jackass." She growled, "If anyone found my dad--"