Chapter Thirty - Five - Four Walls And A Roof

Daryl, Merle and Carol were missing.

Bob was left outside the church with a leg missing. And he was bitten on the shoulder by a walker. He was resting in the office, saying goodbye to Sasha.

And Rick was now yelling at Gabriel.

"Why? What are you gonna burn for, Gabriel? What? What did you do? What did you do?!"

"I lock the doors at night. I always lock the doors at night. I always lock the doors at night. I always-- They started coming, my congregation. Atlanta was bombed the night before and they were scared." Gabriel sobbed, words tumbling out, "They were-- they were looking for a safe place, a place where they felt safe. It was so early. And the doors were still locked. You see, it was my choice. There were so many of them and they were trying to pry the shutters and banging on the sidings, screaming at me. And so, the dead came for them. Women, children. Entire families calling my name as they were torn apart, begging me for mercy. Begging me for mercy. Damning me to hell. I buried their bones. I buried it all. The Lord sent you here to finally punish me. I'm damned. I was damned before. I always lock the doors. I always lock the doors."

Hedley went over to Glenn, showing him and everyone else the card with Daryl's name on it.

"We don't know where he is, Hedley." Maggie said softly.

'Daryl'. 'Daryl'. He waved the card, breathing heavily, tears filling his eyes. He whined and stomped and panted.

"Rick!" Glenn called for him, "Hedley's about to lose it!"

Hedley began to pace, flapping his hands and whimpering in distress.

Carl went over, trying to get his friend to calm down but it wasn't working. Hedley tugged on his hair, making noises in his throat out of pure panic. Rick went towards him, but he shrieked and backed away from the leader.

"What's happening?!" Rosita shouted as Hedley's whines soon became little screams of terror.

His stitches tugged but he didn't notice, the pain numb as his mind clouded with overwhelming stimulation.

"Autistic meltdown." Eugene explained, "Involuntary response to a nervous system overload. They are the physical manifestation of neurobiological chaos caused by a perceived threat to life or routine. The reaction is involuntary and cannot be controlled as intense emotions take over, and tension build-up is released via stimming, repetitive movements, zoning out, screaming, crying, stomping, etc."

"Can you stop them?"

"Once individuals have reached that state, they cannot usually respond to standard behavioural calming cues or techniques. Recovery time for meltdowns can last up to 20 minutes or more after removing the stressor."

"Removing the stressor?"
"He's stressed because Daryl and Merle aren't here." Michonne said.

"We just need to let him go through it." Said Rick, huffing.

"Won't he attract walkers?" Tara asked, scared.

No one responded.

Carl went into Hedley's bag that was on one of the benches and took out his headphones and went to Hedley. "I'm right here, Hedley. Daryl and Merle will be back soon." He spoke calmly, placing the headphones onto Hedley's head.

The panicking boy looked up at Carl, then fell to the ground, pulling his legs to his chest, sobbing.

Carl went with him, wrapping his arms around his friend, squeezing. Hedley fell into Carl's chest, melting in a puddle of distress and heartache. The group let them be, all going to the other side of the church to talk about a plan.