Chapter Sixty - Five - Hearts Still Beating

((Notes : He's another chapter! As a special treat ;) <3 ))) 

Hedley made it to Hilltop in the early hours of the morning. There he met with Maggie, Sasha and Rosita. And quickly, Hedley fell into a routine where he, Maggie, Sasha and Jesus worked together in making plans for Hilltop. Making it safer, planting fruit and veg. They even got a new training ground where they took members of Hilltop and gave them weapons to train with.

Hedley was up in the trees that were inside Hilltop when Maggie called for him.

Hedley climbed down, a huge bag filled with fruit strapped to his back. He jumped the last few branches down and beamed at Maggie, taking off his bag to show her how many he managed to get. She gaped at the apples that overflowed and praised him, patting his cheek adoringly.

"You still wanna go to the ultrasound with me?"

Hedley nodded and the two of them made their way to the clinic. Seeing Doctor Carson inside, Maggie greeted him with a smile and hug.

"How are you feeling, Maggie?"

"I'm okay. A bit nauseous at the moment."

"That's normal, unfortunately. Just remember to drink plenty." Harlan then turned to the boy in the room, "Hey, Hedley. How's the stitches?"

"All gone. H-Healed." He announced, pulling his shirt down to reveal the new scar tissue on his chest.

"Good. It will be a bit sensitive for a few more days but then it should be all fine."

Hedley nodded, already knowing.

Doctor Carson gestured for Maggie to lay down on the hospital bed and she did so, raising her shirt slightly to reveal a slightly curved belly. Hedley went over and saw how Maggie's hands started to shake and reached out to hold it firmly. She had tears in her eyes and Hedley didn't know if it was nervousness or sadness. His face must've said it all as Maggie explained in one simple sentence.

"I just wished Glenn was here."

Hedley nodded, heart squeezing at the words.

Harlan either didn't hear or chose to ignore the sad tone, bringing out the ultrasound wand with a happy face, "This'll be cold." He said, pouring some gel onto Maggie's stomach. He then pressed the wand onto the gel, swirling it around. Doc was looking at the screen intensely before having a sudden burst of Yreka. "There it is." He turned the screen towards the mother to be and pointed at a little black dot, "There's your baby. Happy and healthy. And..." He pressed a button and a sound was heard.

Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump.

"There's the heartbeat."

Maggie started to cry, smiling at the screen, hand over her heart. "So, everything is okay?"

Harlan nodded at her, reassuringly, "Everything is perfect."

Maggie sniffled, tightening her grip on Hedley's hand. She turned to the boy who was looking at the screen with narrow eyes - as if trying to see the picture more clearly.

"Isn't it beautiful?" She asked him.

Hedley tilted his head, not really sure of what he's looking at. But he nodded when seeing Maggie's hopeful eyes.

***

Hedley was sitting on the ground, inspecting the garden, stroking the newly formed blooms of flowers. He loved the garden that Maggie was developing. All the fruit and veg and flowers that brightened the place. It made him feel calm.

But the calm was short lived when the gates opened and the Saviours' trucks came speeding in.

Maggie ran over, pulling Hedley with her. "Come on! We've gotta hide!"

Hedley went with her and they darted down a cellar, into the storage units where they stored the dried foods. Maggie pulled them in between two narrow shelving units and they hid themselves behind a giant mountain of boxes.

Hedley, having a sudden wave of protectiveness overwhelm him, he sat in front of Maggie and took his knives out and got ready to strike. Their breathing was in pants and Hedley could feel Maggie holding onto the back of his shirt, anchoring herself to him.

It wasn't long before two Saviours joined them in the room, both laughing amongst themselves as they inspected the room. They took most of the dried fruit and the cans, shoving them into bags.

"We're going to Alexandria next?" Asked one to the other.

"Nah. We're gonna sneak in and take 'em by surprise soon." Said the other.

"When?"

"Dude, did you not listen to Negan in the meeting this morning? In two nights. Then we're gonna rock up to Alexandria, take all their shit, kill one, and leave. Negan said they needed to be taught a lesson."

"Ever since he lost that Dixon kid, he's been in a mood."

"Doesn't like being outsmarted by a child."

"Don't let Negan hear you say that or you'll be the next one to have their skulls crushed."

They carried on talking as they walked out, their voices blurring in the distance.

"W-We have to warn Rick." Hedley whispered, looking at Maggie.

"How?"

After the Saviours' visit, Hedley got ready, packing his bag and climbing onto his bike.

"Are you sure about this?" Jesus asked. He, Maggie, Sasha and Rosita were watching him as he straightened his dinosaur hat.

"I'll go to Al-Alexandria. Y-You and Sasha and Rosita g-go to the Kingdom. W-We need the King's help."

"The King doesn't want to involve his people." Rosita said.

"His people want to help. Get them to u-understand and they'll get the King to help."

Jesus smiled, impressed and glancing at Maggie, "Y'know, Hedley, you make a good leader."

Hedley grinned, a light blush forming on his scarred cheeks. He looked at Maggie - who was nodding in agreement. 

"S-Stay safe."

"We will." Said Maggie, going over to kiss his head and pat the side of his neck, "You keep away from the main roads and stay alert."

"And say 'Hi' to Rick for us!" Sasha called.

Hedley nodded, started up his bike, waved goodbye to his people, then drove out of Hilltop.