Chapter Eighty - Nine - Beta

(( Notes: Been writing a lot recently so get ready for some daily chapters! Also I just wrote a chapter that I really love so stay tuned to read it! Thank you for all the love <3 :3 )) 

"All right, they're here. Let's go!" Daryl's voice rang out and soon the sounds of the dead tearing through the barricade was heard. They went to their posts and waited for Beta.

Hedley had given Lydia one of his knives. Daryl had taken to hide her in one of the closets with Dog.

"You hurt one hair on his little head and you're dead." Daryl warned.

Lydia looked at the dog who was protectively standing beside her. She looked at Daryl, "I won't."

"Good. Stay here."

"Wait!" She called before he could shut her inside. He looked at her. "Thank you."

Daryl didn't respond, he just closed the door and called Hedley so that they could go into the room where the secret supplies were. Connie took the other door. The father and son took their loaded crossbows and aimed at the door.

"Ready, kid?" Daryl asked, eyes at the front.

"I'm ready, Dad." Was Hedley's response.

The doors opened and the two fired but the bolts landed in a shield and three of the fake dead came in. The Dixons took cover.

Hedley went one way, Daryl the other.

Daryl took an Axe and when he saw that one of the fake dead were behind a sheet, the shadow alluring, he swung the axe and it landed in the man's stomach, blood gushing on the sheet.

Hedley was then attacked by another. A smaller man. He was taken to the ground, crossbow flying. Hedley swung round, hitting the man in the face before rolling over. The man took out a knife and swiped it, slashing Hedley on the arm. Hedley let go, stumbling to get some distance. The man laughed, showing off his knife. Hedley took out his own and charged. The two aimed at one another, doing a dance of hit and miss. Hedley then grabbed hold of the man's hand and desperately tried to get the weapon out of it. But the man held on and jumped onto Hedley's back, putting his arm around Hedley's neck and squeezing. All the breath in Hedley's lungs vanished and he gasped, his windpipe closing. With his remaining strength, he held the knife away from his chest all the while begging for air.

Daryl was attacked by Beta - a massive muscular man. Daryl got a piece of plywood and used it to smash it against Beta but the other man refused to be down for long. Soon doing their own dance as they brought knives out to play. Beta kicked Daryl's chest, sending him to the ground.

"The girl. Where is she?" Beta growled.

Daryl didn't answer.

Beta took Daryl and flung him around like he was a doll, putting him against a workbench. A saw was sticking out from the bench and he had Daryl's neck dangling above it.

"Where is she?" He asked again.

Daryl's answer this time was an elbow to Beta's chest before hitting him in the face. But Beta soon had Daryl against a wall with his feet dangling.

Hedley couldn't breathe and with a last push of strength, he flung himself backwards until he crashed the man into the wall using his back. The man let go and Hedley coughed and sputtered as his lungs expanded. But he had to wait to enjoy it as the man was coming for him once more.

Hedley saw his crossbow, the bolt had slid out and was now on the ground beside it. He dived for it, collecting the bolt. He then saw some scaffolding above and jumped. He swung himself up and he landed with his legs around the man's shoulders, the man's head between his thighs. Before the man could react, Hedley took the bolt and forced it into the man's skull. It took a lot of force so Hedley needed to swing two more times before penetrating the brain but when he did, the man fell like jelly. Hedley panted, rubbing his chest as his breathing returned to normal. He won.

Daryl took a secret knife he had on him and stabbed Beta. Beta threw Daryl into some plasterboard with a cry of pain. Beta removed the knife from his chest then crashed into the plasterboard to get to Daryl but found himself looking into an empty room. Beta looked around.

"You and your people are nothing to me. Your world is already dead." He looked at a sheet that was hanging from the ceiling. "All I want is the girl."

Not knowing that Daryl had crawled into the space in the floor where the supplies were hidden. He slowly got out and up, he was behind Beta... and Beta was looking into the opening of an elevator shaft.

And at that, Daryl ran and pushed Beta into the shaft and Beta fell down, colliding with the bottom with a loud thud. He won too.

Daryl ran over to where Hedley was and took in the scene. Hedley sitting on top of a dead man, a bolt forced in the skull.

"Hey. Hey. It's me. Shh. You okay?" Daryl took Hedley's face in his hands, checking for injuries.

Hedley tried to speak but all that came out was a whimper.

"Non-Verbal?"

Hedley tried to speak again but nothing.

"It's okay. It's okay. Let's get outta here. We need to see if Connie's okay." Daryl lifted Hedley to his feet. The Dixons collected their weapons and ran to where Connie was, only to find her with Lydia and Dog, the bodies of the dead around them.

"What happened?" Daryl asked. Dog went to him and licked his hand.

Connie took out her notepad, wrote something then showed it to Daryl. 'She saved me'.