Chapter Ninety - One - Signatures

((( Notes: An extra chapter for you because I'm feeling generous. Also, I just planned the ending of this book and it made me emotional.... :3 ))) 

Carl fell asleep on Hedley's shoulder embarrassingly quickly. 

Lydia was looking all around and up at the sky all the while, flapping her hands with nerves. Daryl watched her with worry and Connie saw this and wrote something in her notebook, tapping his arm to show him what she had written.

'She's scared'.

Daryl nodded at her.

That was when Dog whined, going up to Lydia and placing his head onto her lap, sensing her fear.

At first Lydia flinched, not expecting the animal to lie on her. But after a moment, she reached her hand down and started to slowly stroke the fur on top of his head. The repetitive movement and soft texture brought a small smile to her lips, her shoulders slumping slightly as tension released.

Daryl looked at Connie and she smiled at him which made his stomach feel weird.

When they made it to the Kingdom, Dog didn't leave Lydia's side. They all got off - Hedley had woken Carl and he was a little grumpy as he was still tired. But as soon as they were greeted with Carol and Ezekiel, the smiles were back. Carol hugged Carl and Hedley tightly, kissing their heads. Hedley's hands flapped with joy, jumping slightly on his toes.

"Oh my Hedley! You've gotten so tall!" Carol said, "And look at that beard! You need to shave more, bud!"

Hedley chuckled, still stimming with happiness. He loved his Aunt Carol and had missed her dearly. She still had Merle's dog tags around her neck but her hair had grown out so it rested on her shoulders.

"I would shave but Carl likes it."

Carl opened his mouth to argue but couldn't deny it. Carol laughed.

Daryl was soon wrapped in one of her hugs also and he squeezed her tightly.

"It's good to see you." He said.

"You too."

Tara came through, noticing Lydia and turning the mood sour with her anger. "What is she doing here?"

Michonne stood forward, eyes on the King. "Gather up all the leaders. We have a lot to talk about."

****

The leaders gathered around a dimly lit room. Lydia had gravitated towards Hedley's side. She reached for his sleeve and held it between her fingers, anchoring herself to him as if she would float away if she let go. Carl was on the other side of Hedley, hand in hand.

Michonne spoke strongly "I know I haven't always seen eye-to-eye with everyone in this room. But I never stopped caring about any of you. I was just trying to protect my family and do right by my people. Alexandria's future is here. Together, with you. And we lost sight of that for a while. But... I'm here now. We're here now."

Gabriel spoke up, "I've taken an informal vote with the other council members at the fair, and we all agree. Alexandria is willing to grant asylum to Lydia. She's one of us now. We hope the rest of you can join us in doing the same."

Hearing the news, Lydia gasped in surprise and said, "Thank you. I'll do whatever I can to earn my keep and pay you back."

Tara looked angry, "If her mother retaliates, it's gonna be against Hilltop, not Alexandria. I have to do right by my people. She's a danger to us all."

Hedley raised his hand, "Um... Who made Tara in charge? Where's Maggie?"

"She had to leave, found a new group and decided to help them. She asked me to be here." Tara scoffed, folding her arms.

"Poor judgement."

"Hedley." Daryl warned but Hedley stood up.

"No. You're being a hypocrite. Rick didn't trust Michonne when she showed up at the gates of the prison. And we didn't trust you," He pointed to Tara, "after seeing you on the other side of the Governor's firing line."

Rachel, the head of Oceanside added, "I was gonna kill you on sight when you washed up on our shore."

"Trust is earned." Hedley said, "Why shouldn't Lydia - who's a scared sixteen year old girl - be any different? Lydia didn't choose where she came from, but she chose where she wanted to be. Just like everybody in this room. Family doesn't end in blood. It's formed, shaped by our choice. I chose to be a Dixon. Lydia can find her real family too. One she chooses."

A silence rang out and Daryl looked at his son with his chest puffed with pride.

"You're right." Tara broke the quiet, " But some of our best fighters are at Hilltop and if Daryl's right about these skin job numbers, it's not enough people."

"We should take a group to Hilltop to protect 'em, just in case." Daryl suggested.

"It's a good idea. I'll take some from the Kingdom." Carol said.

"Oceanside can spare some fighters." Rachel nodded.

"Alexandria can, too." Added Michonne.

"So we head out in the morning?" Rachel asked.

"No, they can take advantage if we wait. We should go today." Said Carol.

"Agreed. But sending more people is only a short-term solution." Gabriel said.

Michonne spoke up, "In order to face this threat, the four communities have to present a united front. Which is why I'm proposing a mutual protection pact. An attack against one community is an attack against all of us. Together, we can make these people think twice before moving against the Hilltop."

"The leadership of the Kingdom is very amenable to this idea." Ezekiel announced.

"Oceanside's down." Rachel added.

"Okay. So, how do we seal it? Spit and shake, blood oath? What?" Tara joked.

"I have just the thing." Ezekiel then went over to a cabinet and took out a contract and pen.

"What? How did you..." Michonne gasped, looking at the giant paper.

"Well, he's magic. Obviously." Tara said.

"I knew this day would come. Never doubted it for a moment." Ezekiel took the pen and signed the bottom with the cry of "John Hancock, eat your heart out."

One by one the leaders signed the paper. And once Carl wrote his name, the contract was sealed.

*****

Daryl took his and Hedley's bikes from the back of the truck.

Hedley hugged his Flytrap when it was back with him which made Daryl chuckle.

The fighters were getting ready to head off to Hilltop. All the while the people of the Kingdom were putting on a fair with games and food and music. It was a beautiful atmosphere. Lydia was staying here while Daryl, Hedley, Carl, Michonne, Carol and a handful of people were shipped off to fight.

Carol was seen saying goodbye to Henry - the little boy Hedley had once saved. The boy hugged her tightly while Carol hugged him just as tightly. The past couple of years, Carol had put Henry under her wing and it was a beautiful sight to see.

Daryl was petting Dog when Connie came running up. She had her notepad ready.

'Be Safe'.

Daryl read it then said, "You too."

Connie nodded and was about to walk away when he stopped her, "Can you... feed my dog?" He made an eating gesture to help her understand.

She looked honoured with the job and nodded before slapping her thighs for Dog to follow her. Daryl waved her goodbye only to turn round to find Hedley and Carl watching.

"What you lookin' at?"

Hedley smirked while Carl made kissing noises.

"Shut up." Daryl grunted before going over to his bike.

Hedley hopped on his own bike, Carl slipping on behind him. Carl wrapped his arms around Hedley's middle when the engine revved. And then the group were off to their next adventure.