Food and Capture the Flag

Alex was very proud of herself as she walked to the infirmary, leaning against Perci. "That was so much fun! Been a long time I've had a decent opponent that isn't one of the women who raised me."

Perci rolled her eyes playfully. "I'm right here you know."

Alex shrugged, a weird thing to do when one was leaning down slightly and against another person. "I love you, but you're kinda weak. We didn't really have a good place to train at Yancy. This place seems to make up for it."

She continued talking as they went into the tent. "I mean, my home is cool, with all the machines and instruments and stuff- not to mention watching Mamá weld metal together with just her fingers and doing the light thing with Māmā to mess with Мама until she throws her arm in an attempt to hit us." (Mom)

Perci listened closely considering this was the first time she talked a lot about what happened at home. She noticed that the others in the infirmary were listening as well. They seemed curious about what the girl was talking about as an Apollo camper started to work on her eye. It really wasn't that hard to hear Alex even if her was using her inside voice, which she was. She was Mexican and lesbian.

/

Alex looked around the pavilion. She grabbed a plate and cup. "So, we think of what we want to eat and drink to the plate and cup and it'll appear so long as it's not alcoholic and healthy. Am I understanding that correctly?"

"Yep," Perci confirmed. "Once you get your food, we have to sacrifice some to the gods in the fire over there." She pointed at the fire that had a line behind it. "Hestia gets a small tribute of everything sacrificed. I'm pretty sure it's because she's the goddess of the hearth and home. Oh! After you finish everything on your plate, then you can get dessert."

Alex nodded. "Makes sense." Alex stared at her plate. She knew exactly what she wanted. She watched the plate fill up with eighteen meatballs with parmesan cheese sprinkled on top, three gougères, and three Hawaiian chicken kabobs.

When she stood in front of the fire, she slid her fork across her plate to push four meatballs in, one of the gougères, and one of the Hawaiian chicken kabobs. 'To Hestia, I hope you enjoy the food. To whatever divine being or beings I'm the descendant of, tell the other gods and goddesses to claim their kids and you claim yours.'

She stepped away from the fire and would later go on to swear she saw a young girl around 9-years-old with mousy brown hair and fire-red eyes eating a part of a gougère.

She walked over to the Hermes table and saw no room to sit down. She looked to the left and saw Devon and Lexi sitting on the floor with their backs against a pillar. Her eyes glanced over to the empty tables, then to Chiron and Dionysus eating their food.

"Perci, I'm going to try to sit with those two. Mind staying at the table?" Alex looked down at her loser.

Perci looked over. "I don't mind. Don't do anything stupid."

Alex rolled her eyes playfully and walked over to the girls. "Hey, can I sit with you? There's no room at the table." She jerked a thumb over her shoulder.

Devon glanced at Lexi. She would tolerate it if Lexi was fine with it. Lexi nodded.

"We didn't really get to introduce ourselves with everything that happened today," Lexi said softly. "I'm Lexi. Nice to meet you." Her eyes flickered to Devon.

Devon sighed. "Name's Devon."

Alex gave her signature sunny smile. "Nice to meet you two. I'm Alex."

Devon was glad Alex didn't attempt to force conversation on them. She just sat there and ate her food.

After a couple minutes of silence, everyone had finished eating. Chiron stood up and started talking about a game of Capture the Flag.

Alex was aware she started to zone out. Her mind was occupied by the fact that every single nerve in her body felt uncomfortable, especially her back.

She subconsciously put the armor on. She was on the blue team with Perci, Devon and Lexi.

She finally shook her head and realized Luke was telling people where to go.

"Perci and Devon, you two take care of the creek. Alex and Lexi, think you can get close to the other flag?" Luke asked after everyone else had gone off.

Alex grinned. "As sure as I am about being lesbian." She turned to Lexi. "Let's do this."

Alex gave a two-fingered salute to Perci before heading deeper into the forest with Lexi.

/

"So, any idea where it could be? Any popular spots to put it?" Alex asked after a minute of silence.

"Um, Zeus's Fist is one...along with-" Lexi yelped as she set off a trap.

Alex pulled her back in time to not be forced to hang upside down. She led the girl into the shadow of a tree.

"There you are- What the Hades?!" An Ares boy looked at the trap.

"Who'd we catch, Quinn?" asked another.

"There's nothing in it," he responded back harshly. "Told you that trusting those Hermes kids for traps wasn't a good idea."

"Whatever. Let's head back to the flag. No use in sticking around."

The two waited until the Ares kids left again. Alex grinned. They were so close.