One Year Later

Wakanda

"Good morning Panther'  Griot's thunderous announcement awoke Shuri from her slumber. Her eyes lazily gazed at the surroundings around her she rolled her eyes at the sight.

She slept in her lab again, papers for new technological repairs were scattered around the long white desk.

"Griot, why are you waking me up so early in the morning?" Shuri rubbed her eyelids as she scanned over the botany reports of how the synthetic heart-shaped herbs were progressing. Analyzing the results of last month there were twenty that have now skyrocketed to forty herbs.

'Panther you were being called to a meeting with King M'Baku and the elders I reminded you of this just yesterday in our daily schedule debrief'

Shuri grimaced at the idea of going into a meeting with the elders "Yeah, I may have to pass on that Griot," she replied dryly as she scanned through more documents

'If I may Panther it would be very beneficial...'

"I think that it would be beneficial for you to stop Griot before I disconnect you for the day I have made up my mind I am not going," Shuri stated matter of factly

Shuri just realized that she hadn't changed her clothes last night as she looked down at her gray jumpsuit. She needed to shower as soon as possible.

'Panther.' Griot announced as she began to walk to the first level of the lab 'I just received a notification from the United States a location ping from Massachutes would you like for me to respond,'

Shuri's breath caught in her throat as she remembered the now 20-year-old scientist she smiled as she recalled her short stature and fiery loyal attitude, brown eyes and deeply rich melanated skin, and her...

'Panther would you like for me to respond' Griot interrupted her thoughts once again

"No Griot it's fine just continue running tests on the gravity suspensions on the new railways that we are building around the border tribe please," Shuri quickly dismissed Griot

'As you wish Panther'

Shuri made her way out of her lab and into the palace corridors the carpets all aligned with bright gold and black trimmings. The morning sun was glistening overhead as Shuri looked up at dome-shaped windows on the ceiling.

As Shuri turned the corner to the sovereign chambers, massive portraits were showcased on each side of the walkway black and white intricately painted portraits of T'Challa and her mother Queen Ramonda were beautifully displayed.

Shuri sometimes struggled going down this corridor with their faces looking at her. She still misses them every day since her mourning ritual in Haiti she was able to fully process her brother's death. Her mother was different; her death hurt still she believed that she was responsible, even though she knew exactly whose fault it was. Namor.

Shuri felt her breath shallow and her heart rate speed up, she didn't realize that she was gripping her tablet so hard that she snapped it in half, she focused on her breathing so she could control her anger.

She stormed away from the portraits and into her bedroom tossing the ruined tablet into a trash chute on the wall. Shuri stripped out of her clothing and turned on the shower turning the dial as hot as it would go she immediately stepped underneath the massaging shower head. Even with the water steaming hot, she didn't flinch, Shuri massaged her scalp with her conditioner letting her curls soak up the product.

As she continued to massage her scalp memories of her mother braiding her hair as a child for hours in this very room flashed in her mind. Tears started to fall down her cheeks remembering her mother's voice and her presence always comforting her as she experimented with her very first inventions while connecting with her mother.