Lab Partners

The aircraft raced through the air as Okoye monitored the holographic projections on the screen to make sure they were still on course to Wakanda.

Shuri was uneasy the entire ride since Riri wasn't speaking to her or Okoye she had been silent only asking how long until they reached Wakanda.

Shuri hadn't meant to just stare at the young woman but she also wanted to respect her wishes in wanting to be left alone. Shuri just wished the engineer would speak to her.

Riri was perched on a pillowed cover bench looking out at the rising sun. Something about the way the sun was hitting Riri's face made Shuri's breath hitch in her throat. Shuri hadn't seen Riri in so long but she never forgot the young woman's effect that she inflicted. Riri's features were still beautiful from her melanated skin to the way her cheeks would slightly perk up when she was happy about something, her tone of voice was low, and the way she pronounced words was beautiful. The sun was illuminating Riri, she was able to see the slight hints of brown in her braided hair as well as her eyes lit up and showcased the brown in her iris'.

Shuri hadn't realized that she was staring at Riri so intensely until those brown iris met her gaze and Riri's brows perked up in concern.

"Hey Shuri, you alright?" Riri asked her low voice laced with hesitation.

Shuri didn't break eye contact as she answered boldly "Actually now that you ask no I'm not alright, you haven't spoken to me since we came onto the aircraft,"

Riri's face flushed as she brought her hands together and rubbed the back of her neck. Shuri recognized the motion from when the young engineer was nervous.

"I mean if I've upset you in any way I would like to know so we can fix this Riri you're my friend and I don't want you angry with me," Shuri added before Riri had a chance to respond

Okoye was silent as she continued to navigate the aircraft but she turned her head to Shuri and said "Princess, mhlawumbi yayiyinto engalunganga ukuyithetha (Princess, that was probably the wrong thing to say),"

Shuri didn't realize this until she saw Riri's face as she took in the words that Shuri just said.

"Friends..." Riri hung on to the word and Shuri instantly felt her heart shatter at once but she had no idea why.

Did Riri no longer want them to be friends?

"Yeah Shuri I am a bit upset at the fact that I haven't heard or seen you in a whole year, complete radio silence, that's kind of bullshit and now all of a sudden when the feds come knocking at my door here you are all of a sudden you just pop up again just like you did in my dorm last year," Riri responded, "So forgive me, friend, if I am a bit overwhelmed seeing you after everything that happened don't get me wrong you look amazing and you haven't changed at all which isn't a bad thing it's just ugh..." Shuri's mouth slowly perked up with a genuine smile as she watched Riri ramble and trip over her words.

Shuri understood Riri's frustration which prompted the panther to approach Riri's current spot by the window.

"Riri, I am truly sorry that I hadn't made a better effort to reach out to you this past year it's just I was still processing everything that happened between my brother and also my mother I was still mourning and I needed time but that is no excuse I should have done better and made an effort to make sure you were still alright," Shuri's voice was filled with sincerity as she extended her hand she didn't try to pull Riri she waited for the young engineer to grab hold of her hands.

When Riri reached out Shuri couldn't help the swelling of her heart as she smiled seeing their hands intertwine.

"No Shuri, I'm an asshole you've been through so much because of me and I am being a shitty friend ranting about only my feelings without asking you how you've been, Shuri I'm sorry," Riri said as her eyes stared at their conjoined hands.