I'm Sorry (part one)

I hold the blade at the stranger's neck, curious about his attire but not enough to ask. "Who are you?"

"I'm Cyno, the general of the Mahamatra in the desert of Sumeru. Who are you?" He nods back at me with a look that's telling me to do just as he did.

"I'm Xiao, the adeptus that protects Liyue from monsters and strangers like you." I reply, his clothes finally making sense to me. "If you're a general in the desert," I slowly lower my weapon, "Then what is your business on this side of Liyue? It's a bit far past your region's borders, don't you think so?"

"Probably so, but I'm here to deliver something."

"We have people that do that as a profession you know."

"Yeah, but I was told to deliver this in person to someone people know as the traveler."

At the mention of my boyfriend, I stiffen my arm, my spear point at his throat yet again. "A little out of the normal for someone of your status to deliver something to the traveler known by almost everyone in Tyvat. What do you really want, general?" I spit out the last word angrily.

"So the rumors are true. The Adepti really are unfriendly creatures when it comes to things such as strangers. Well, if you know the traveler so well, then you'll know where he is. By that, I mean that I've heard that he's been in a region known as Mondstadt. I would give you this," he holds up a letter as well as a small package, "to him, but you haven't ever left Liyue have you? Not for a thousand years at least."

I snarl quietly, getting irritated with this man's attitude and know it all expression.

"So, if you could just point me in the direction of Mondstadt, I would appreciate it."

"You aren't going alone. Not when rumors have spread all throughout Liyue about a stranger roaming the land. The people in Mondstadt won't know you either." I give him a small smirk. "The Knights of Favonius are going to tail you the second you get close to the bridge."

"Are you saying you care for my well-being?" He replies snarkily, making me falter the tiniest bit before rolling my eyes.

"You wish." I drop my arm, tired of holding my weapon up with no motion for so long. He seems to relax a bit too, which concerns me with the fact of him being in strange territory. "I'll take you as close as I'm willing to the city. After that, you're on your own. The people of Mondsadt aren't too fond of us Adepti."

He looks at me imploringly for a moment before shrugging. "Lead the way, Mr. Adeptus."

"Don't call me that. You sound like the traveler's companion." I mumble, not meaning for him to hear the last part.

"Don't compare me to that little fairy." He snaps, taking me off guard but I don't show it. I allow myself to grin internally. Another person that dislikes the fairy? Now this I could go with.

We spent the journey from Liyue to Mondsadt in silence, avoiding hilichurl camps if possible. When we cross into the next region, I notice that everything is much livelier than Liyue. We step onto a worn path that winds through the grassy plains, earning a few curious glances from people we pass along the road.

It wasn't until we came up to a sign in the road that we stopped and looked around.

"The Dawn Winery." Cyno reads quietly, shifting my attention to the sign he read from before the voice of another male spoke out.

"What are you two doing?" We look up, our sights landing on a man with red hair and dark clothes, his eyes concealing any emption yet his stance is on guard.

"We are on our way to see the traveler. I'm the Xiao, the duardian yaksha of Liyue." I introduce myself calmly to avoid confrontation with the man.

He scoffs lightly. "I'll have you know that you won't be making it passed the gates of Mondstadt without being taken by guards right to the Cavalry Captain and the Acting Grand Master of the Knights of Favonius."