I Love You

I walked into the house with a sigh, happy to be home. I looked around to see if I could spot the one that turned my world upside down. A clatter from the kitchen followed by a string of attempted curses caught my attention and I smiled, knowing that that is where I would find him.

I slip off my coat and drape it over the back of the couch before heading into the kitchen.

His long hair brushed against his waist, hiding most of his figure from view. It flowed with his every movement, making me smile everytime he flicked it back over his shoulder in irritation. I approached him quietly, gently pulling his hair into my hand before pressing a kiss to his cheek.

"How was your day?" I ask, rubbing his back softly, failing to notice the way he tensed under my touch and seemed to stutter with his words as well as his actions.

"Uh, it was good. Long, but good." He nodded his head rapidly, not looking at me once.

"That's good. I'm going to change. Be back in a minute."

As I walked away, my brain kicked into gear. He never asked how my day was. He didn't turn and smile at me either. He hardly even acknowledged me.

Did he lie about his day?

As I stripped out of my work clothes and pulled on some sweats and a t-shirt, I continued running these thoughts through my head. I headed back to the kitchen, being sure to watch him a little closer this time.

But he didn't seem much different from this morning.

He turned and smiled, waving slightly as he began chattering about his day like our interaction from just a minute ago never happened.

Did I imagine it?

He set a plate of food down in front of me and kissed my head before going to make his own plate. I started eating, finally deciding to brush it off and convince myself that I am more tired than I thought I was.

He set his plate down across from me before walking out of the room for whatever reason.

Now that isn't normal.

I look at his plate before turning to stare at the direction he went in before looking back at it. While he would normally have a pretty full plate, he now has one that is half the serving he usually gets.

I took another bite, contemplating his decision when I grew worried. He didn't come back, and I was going to assume that he had gone to the bathroom but it has already been longer than 10 minutes.

I move to stand up to go search for him, but hardly rise out of my chair when he appears again, a smile on his face but a nervous look in his eyes.

"Hey, is everything okay?" I ask softly.

He nods before taking a small bite out of his food, placing the utensil on the table soon after. Again, he never looked at me.

"Aether?"

He still doesn't answer.

I place my fork down and lean a little closer, trying to catch his attention.

He glances up at me before nodding, forcing a bigger, faker smile on his face.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just tired I guess." He laughs nervously.

"But you aren't eating." I point out.

"Not as hungry as I thought I was?" He seems to question his own answer as he stands, taking his plate with him. I follow his actions, losing my appetite upon seeing him so out of it.

I approach him and raise my hand. "Are you feeling okay?"

He leans away from my hand, putting his arms up in a somewhat defensive position. I look at him, confused with his behavior before taking a step closer.