Happy Anniversary

"Ready?" I ask, smiling at him softly.

He nods, tucking a strand of hair behind his ear while he fiddles with the case of his phone. I lean over and place a kiss on his temple, summoning a blush to his cheeks with the small action that makes him a little more adorable.

Putting the car in gear, I take us to my favorite place out of the city, away from the chaos of the world. I park near the front of the parking lot and tune the radio before shutting the car off to set up the interior.

I had decided that, since Xiao and I have been together for exactly a year today, I would take him to a drive-in movie. He was skeptical at first, not keen on the idea of watching a movie in a car, in the middle of a bunch of people, out in the middle of nowhere.

That's how he put it at least. We are really only a mile or so away from the city.

I pulled out a couple blankets, some pillows, and snacks before reclining my seat back, instructing Xiao to do the same. Once we were settled, pillows covering the seat belt buckles and doors, blankets draped over our waists, and snacks settled into little grooves in the blankets, we looked at the movie that had just started playing its commercials.

When it started, I looked over at Xiao and smiled at his awed expression, reaching over to take his hand in mine before curling up under my blanket.

About halfway through, I heard Xiao move around, seemingly antsy. Or uncomfortable. I didn't know which. I waited for him to settle down but he never did so I sat up a bit and looked over at him.

"Hey, you alright?" I ask.

"Yeah, just a little cold." He nods, pulling the blanket tighter around his shoulders before settling down again.

"I have an extra blanket if you want it. or I could tun on the car and run the heater for a few minutes." I suggest.

He shakes his head, burying his nose into the blanket, eyes watching the screen outside.

"You sure?"

He nods. "It won't help anyway."

"But I don't want you to be cold throughout the rest of the movie. Is there something I can do to try warming you up?" I ask, fully sitting now so I could look at his face.

He shrugs before hiding his face completely. I smile, recognizing his shy behavior and the burning question he is too nervous to ask.

"Alright. Come on." I pull my blanket out from under me and hold it open for him to crawl into. His eyes peek out of the blanket and he looks at me curiously.

"What?" His voice comes out muffled.

"Come here, I'm going to warm you up." I gesture to myself and the space next to me, turning my body sideways.

He waits for a minute, considering my invitation before sighing and hesitantly crawling out of his blanket and over the console, slipping in right beside me. When he stops moving and shifting, I bring the blanket down on top of him and pull him close, his small frame making it easy to do.

He snuggles into my chest and takes a deep breath before looking out at the movie once again. I smile, kissing his head gently as his chilly hands lock together and he tucks them against his neck, right under his chin to warm them up.

"Thank you." He whispers.

"Don't thank me. It's what I'm here for. I warm you when you're cold and cheer you up when you're sad. I love you, Xiao."

"I love you too, Aether." He replies, snuggling a little closer, resting his head on my shoulder.

By the time the movie ends, Xiao had fallen asleep. I smiled down at him as other people started their cars and began pulling out. The noise woke up Xiao and he rubbed his eyes sleepily, looking around as he sat up.

"Is it over?"

"Yep." I rub his back softly, soothing his, most likely, stiff shoulders.

"Sorry for falling asleep." He murmurs.

"That's alright. It's almost 11:00 anyway." I sit up and look at his face. "Ready to go home?"

He nods, climbing back into his seat with a sigh, stretching his arms above his head as far as they would go before relaxing.

"This was fun." He smiles, looking back at me.

"I told you." I tease lightly before shoving my blanket into the backseat and starting the car. "I'm glad you enjoyed it."

He hums in agreement, putting on his seatbelt before checking his phone.

I smile at him before pulling out of the parking lot and heading back to his place to drop him off.

"Hey, love."

He looks up at me curiously.

"Happy anniversary."

He blushes lightly before a smile pulls at his lips too. "Happy anniversary."

Then, without warning, he leans over and kisses my cheek.

"That's to pay you back for the date." He giggles.

"I knew there was a reason I loved you." I say, making him laugh a little more.

How did I get so lucky?