Chapter 1 - New Start

ATHENA WALES

Thursday, Oct 30
On the way to the airport I take in the last bits of Jamaica, my country, the smell of the air that is tainted with a serum that makes you feel privileged just to breathe, it's beautiful water falls that trap the attention of all 5 of your senses, the music that infiltrates every one of your bones and forces you to move on your feet. I'll miss you, my home. I've never stopped loving you nor rejected you as my own, if only you could do the same for me. Instead you force me to leave, force me to leave my life behind just to live. But I'll keep throwing out my broken boomerang of unconditional love, hoping one day it'll find its way back.

DING!

The sound of my phone rips me out of my thoughts.

Mari: Hey bby how you coming?

I can't help but to smile at her text. I can't help but to smile at the thought of her, she's worth my whole life and more. She's the reason I didn't give up she gave me something to live for. For the past year she's been my rock and now I'll finally get to meet her, hold her, let her hold me. I know online dating is risky especially wit such a distance but love doesn't seem to have its limits.

Thea: Hey babe, we're pulling up to my terminal right now. What's the place we're meeting at called again?

Mari: You took a lil to long to respond for me but imma let it slide since I can't wait to see you.

My heart beat quickens at the comment.

Thea: babe stop you play too much na cmon answer my question so I won't be lost.

Mari: It's a black brick building with a black and purple sign tha says,
"Lane's Place". It'll be the busiest place on the block you'll see it.

We're meeting at the the restaurant because Marceli is getting off work a few minutes before my plane lands and she doesn't feel like coming straight from work because she'll be tired. And hungry hence the restaurant.

Thea: Ok bby I can't wait to see you, I love you.

Mari: love you too bbyg.

Before I can cringe at the term of endearment too long Jovi interrupts my disgust. "We're here", Jovi says as we come to a stop. "Take this ID and passport it'll mask ur identity and you'll just be another Athena Wales ok?", I stop to look at my best friend for the last time, "Thank you Jovi, for everything, for always being there since the beginning of primary school, for always being there when I needed you, for always just loving me for me, I love you.". He lets the tears breach his eye lids, "Shit Thea I told yo ass not to make me cry before we came here, you doing this shit on purpose" he says as tears stain his cheeks. I laugh, "Get yo ass over here and gimme a hug" he says and I lean over the armrest to embrace him, "I love you" he whispers, "I love you more", I whisper back. As we break apart he meets my eyes and his expression sobers up, "Thea I know the states are generally more accepting of gay people but you have to remember not all individuals are, especially in Texas and since you are a black women. Please be careful."

"I will, I won't make any trouble Jovi and I expect the same from you. You be careful Jovi, you and Damerae are never safe. And it's still not too late for you and him to come with me." Jovi takes my hand, "You know Damerae won't leave, this is his home, and he is my home and the reason I came back from the states in the the first place. I won't leave and you don't need me to. You are the strongest most caring person I know. So you got this Thea, you a bad bitch never forget that." I laugh at his childish comments and take in the last bit of his presence. When I become aware of time again I remember I have to go. I go to speak but his words drown my voice, "I know, you have to go. So go head before you miss yo flight. And no fucking the flight attendants, I never liked them types of pornos. And say hi to lil miss Marceli, Mm sound like a expensive ass chocolate brand." I shake my head as I get out the car, he winks at me as I shut the door. I flip him off and blow him a kiss before turning my back. I walk into the airport and into the start of my new life. Here goes nothing, shit who I'm tryna fool, here go everything.

AN: Wsg y'all this my first book so pls bare with me and I'm open to suggestions not insults nor demands. Regardless I want this to be a safe space for everybody including myself so pls just be nice it's not rlly that hard. Anyways, I will be including a culture that is not my own in this book so I'm not super educated and if I say anything wrong or problematic please just message me.

I hope y'all enjoy the following chapters
Thank you for reading❤️