Summoning Misfortune

After talking to a painting in the classroom, the two dashed to the hall of mirrors. Ace was outside the entrance.

"Yeah right, like I'm gonna wash a hundred windows. I'm just gonna go back and-"

"AHA! GOTCHA, PUNK!" Grim was several feet ahead of Kayra and ready to tackle Ace. "Stop right there, pal! No fair gettin' a head start! Wait!"

"Who in their right mind would ever wait?!" He took off inside. "Seeya!"

"No way are you gettin' out of this! You think I WANNA wash windows?"

Another student walked out of the mirror at that moment. "...Hm?"

"Outta my way!"

"Hey! What gives?!"

"Please, stop him!" Kayra yelled. They weren't catching him at this rate.

"What? But how to stop him? Like, freeze his legs? Or bind them with a rope? Or mayb-?" He was rambling on about the specifics.

"Just do something! Anything!" Grim and Kayra yelled in union.

"Anything?! Anything, huh..." He pulled out his pen and pointed it at Ace. "All right! Here goes anything! I summon thee... something heavy!"

A bright light flashed. Ace who- at that point -was right in front of the mirror, was flattened by a cauldron. Kayra almost tripped over in shock.

"Bwaaah?! Wha?! A pot?!" Ace struggled.

Grim crackled in glee. "Look, Kaye, look! That Ace guy got crushed beneath a giant cauldron! It squashed him flat! Ah ha ha! That's what you get!"

I know I wanted to kill him, but not like this...!

"A cauldron?! I wasn't expecting that. I may have overdone it this time..."

Groaning, Ace pushed it and crawled out. Like him, the new guy had something painted on his face- a spade, paired with black hair. Kayra stepped towards them still bewildered.

"What are you bothering me for? You guys coulda just banged out the work yourself!"

Kayra came to her senses. "There's no 'banging out' a hundred windows!"

"You have to wash a hundred windows as punishment? What the heck did you do?!"

"I was just screwing with that furball a little ...okay, and the statue of the Queen of Hearts got a teeny bit charred. Sue me."

If this was America, I would.

"You damaged a statue of the Great Seven?! No wonder he flew off the handle with you! After you managed to get into THIS school, how could you get in trouble on the very first day?!"

"Oh, shut up. Who are you, anyway?"

"My name is Deuce. Deuce Spade. Don't you remember your own classmate? Uh..."

"You don't remember my name either, do you?"

"That's not the point! You shouldn't try to shrink an order from the Headmage!"

"Yeah, yeah, message received..." He turned to leave and Kayra turned with him. "Fine, let's bang out the windows already."

How about I bang out your head first?

Then they noticed the problem. Kayra groaned. "Grim sure has been quiet-"

"The furball! It's gone!"

The thing stood outside the building. It laughed. "I'll let you two handle the rest! See ya, suckers!"