Mines, Magestones & Monsters

For the first time, Kayra was consciously aware of traveling through a magic mirror. Engulfed by white light, she felt what she thought was like to float around in space. She didn't like it. The next thing she knew, she was in a forest.

"So this is the Dwarfs' Mine..." Deuce wondered.

Grim scrambled between Kayra's legs, tripping her in the process. She regained her balance.

It whined. "Who knows what lurks in there now?"

Ace suggested checking out the run-down house.

Deuce gave a greeting as they entered, just in case it was inhabited. "Must be empty. It looks like it's been abandoned."

Grim struggled to remove a cobweb that it walked into. Kayra crouched and wiped it off with the rag in her pocket. She took a good look around. The only illumination came from Grim's ears and the faint moonlight. It was arguably worse than her new living quarters.

Ace felt uncomfortable around Kaye ever since he started crying. With his face close to Grim's ears, Ace could make out the faint shine from the streaks of dried tears. A new wave of guilt washed over him.

"Look how tiny these desks and chairs are." He tried to distract himself. "Did children live here? One, two... seven! It's like a clown car."

"If you think a little you'll realize that we're headed to a Dwarfs' Mine." Kayra stood up.

Ace swallowed. Thankfully Juice cut in.

"When the mine was flourishing, this house must have been a lively place."

"This isn't getting us anywhere." Ace needed to get out of there. "If were gonna find a magestone, it'll be inside the mine. Let's head inside and take a look."

Second thoughts only arose when they reached the mine entrance.

Grim took a step back. "You wanna go in there? It's pitch black!"

Ace taunted it for being scared of the dark, which it denied in response. Kayra cut the argument short.

"Enough. We have plenty of light right here." She bent down and lit two candlesticks from Grim's ears, which she had obtained from the cottage. She handed one each to the boys.

Multiple tunnels branched off from the cave. The gang stuck to the main route to avoid getting lost. With three sources of light, the half formed crystals glistened like stars. But there beauty couldn't make up for the cold night breeze and the uncomfortable silence.

Deuce halted. "Hold up! There's something there!"

Grim exclaimed when it saw the ghosts.

"Hee hee hee hee! Visitors! The first in ten years!"

"Do make yourselves at home... You can stay forever!"

Without instruction, all four of them dashed back the way they came.

"Ghosts are about the last thing we need right now..." Deuce said.

The boys threw attacks over their shoulders as they ran, which slowed them down to Kayra's pace. She wasn't sure if that was a good thing. They eventually stopped at one of the crossroads they encountered.

Grim breathed. "They're still on our tails!"

"What's the... hurry?" The ghost panted. "Ease... ease up a bit, would you?"

Grim voiced Deuce's thoughts. "And just how's a ghost short of breath?"

A panting Kayra looked up. The sight took her by surprise, which she overcame quickly, then started brainstorming. Should we keep running? Maybe take a different route? She peeked into the other tunnel.