Fear

Needless to say, the Headmage was in disbelief. These kids had actually put their lives on the line to avoid expulsion, and come out of it triumph.

"And here I spent all evening preparing your expulsion documents."

"Are you serious?!" Grim exclaimed. "While we were fightin' some crazy monster for you, you were expelling us?!"

"'Monster'...?"

"Yeah. There was a monster, all right." Ace was pissed. "A big, nasty one. It nearly killed us."

"Would you kindly relate this story in full?"

He mused in contemplation once they were done. "So mysterious monster was living in the mines. And the four of you worked together to destroy it, and then brought it's magestone back to me?"

Ace rubbed the back of his neck. "I don't know if I'd call it 'working together'."

"It was more like we just happened to share the same goal at the same time..." Deuce muttered.

Seriously? Kayra internally groaned. Boys.

"Oh, gracious... Ohhh... Ohhhhhhhhh!" Crowley started sobbing in the most outrageous way, causing the four to take a step back.

"What is this guy's deal?!" Grim wondered. "Burstin' into tears in public? At his age?!"

"In all the decades I've worked at this school... The day has finally come when the students of Night Raven Collage have joined hands together to defeat a common foe!"

"Whoa! No!" Deuce objected. "No way would I join hands with that guy!"

"Okay, one, there was no joining of hands. Gross." Ace pointed out. "And two, exactly how old are you, Headmage?"

"At this moment, I am moved beyond words. This incident has proven my hopes were justified. Kaye, my doubts are allayed!" He got in her face and screamed, "For you... You possess the talents of a beastmaster!"

She leaned backwards. "A... beastmaster?!"

"My student have all been selected by the Dark Mirror for their exceptional talent and potential. But great talent begets great pride and big egos. Most are so self-reliant and self-centered that they never even consider cooperating with others."

"You make it sound like it's a bad thing." Grim mumbled. Although Kayra could see both sides of the coin.

"But you, Kaye, possess no magic. Yet in spite of that -or perhaps because of it- you were able to convince those who can use magic to work together for a common goal. The everyday, humdrum mundanity you possess may be exactly what Night Raven Collage needs!"

"But... none of those words are good things?"

Kayra was actually more offended by Ace than by Crowley.

"Kaye... I am convince that people like you are necessary for the future of this school. My educator's intuition tells me so. Trappola, Spade- I hereby revoke your pending expulsions! Furthermore, Kaye... I am granting you the qualifications necessary to attend Night Raven Collage!"

There was a lot of exclaiming today.

"You remember that I can't use magic, right?"

"Of course. This is extraordinarily kind of me. However there is one condition. You're inability to use magic is, for a mage, unacceptable. You would not be able to adequately pursue the school's curriculum! As for you, Grim... Your actions today have made it clear that you possess sufficient talent to become a mage. In light of the total sum of your respective circumstances, You and Kaye will share a single enrollment at Night Raven Collage."