Chapter 36- A Father's Blessing

--Giovanni POV--

We assured each other that it will all be okay, and in this moment right now, it truly felt like it would be okay. Even with her father's glare pinned against the back of my head.

Holding her in my arms, we spun around the dance floor, ignoring the curious gazes of all the other guests and simply enjoying each other's presence; I spun her around, cherishing the sound of her beautiful laughter that followed, It's not a moment I would dare to trade for the world.

"What is it?" She breathed out as I pulled her back up to my chest.

"I'm simply cherishing you," I whispered, pulling her closer.

"All of a sudden?"

"There is not a moment where I'm not cherishing you,"

"Whatever you say, you cheesy man," She joked to which I replied with a glare, only causing her laughter to reignite itself, something that completely, and thoroughly undid me, and I was certain it would continue to do so for the rest of my life.

"I love you." I heard myself say.

"I love you." She said just as the dance came to an end.

Taking a step away from each other, she dipped into a little curtsy as I bowed my head in reply before standing back up straight, but before I could touch her again, a firm pat on my shoulder stopped me, and I didn't need to turn and see to know who it was.

"Papa?" Aurora curiously called as I turned to look at him.

"I'm going to borrow your date for a minute, princess," He said, going to kiss her cheek before turning to look at me, and gesturing with his head for me to follow him.

"Don't kill him, please," She called after him as I blinked, turning to look at her to which she replied by blowing me a kiss and giving me a thumbs up, but I couldn't find myself replying, and only hoped that she wasn't pushing me towards deaths doors right now.

"I shall try my best, but I won't make any promises," And her dear father's reply wasn't making me feel any more reassured.

We left the party hall, and I followed him down some familiar corridors, up some stairs, and into what I believed was his study. A large room with a desk stood against one of the walls, picture frames scattered around the room, and large floor to ceiling windows illuminated the room.

"What have you got to say to me?" I asked.

"I should be asking you that question," He went over to the bar, picking out two glasses followed by a bottle of scotch, and began pouring it in as I thought of a valid answer.

"Am I in trouble for not seeking your blessing before I started trying to woo your daughter?" I thought aloud, going over to the heater where I looked at all the childhood pictures of Aurora that decorated it.

"What is this, the 19th century? I sure wouldn't have minded if you were to ask for my permission, in fact, I may have preferred it now that you mention it, but it's not like you didn't make it obvious. Anyone could see that there was a sort of... attraction... between both of you. I just seemed to be the only one that was reluctant towards the relationship," He strolled over to me, handing me a glass which I took.

"Because you don't believe me to be a good man?"

"Do you believe yourself to be a good man?" He threw the question back at me.

"No, at least, not right now; I'm working on it, but bad habits are difficult to get rid of. All I can do now is to promise that I will try my best to become a man fit for her," I truthfully answered, taking a deep gulp of the beverage as I shifted my gaze back onto the pictures, one hand tucked into the pockets of my trousers as I tried to hide my smile at the cute sight.