chapter V: CAUTION

"Oh finally, William! Where were you these 2 days?! I had to cover for you, you know."
"Oh please, you're overexaggerating. It's not like you do anything that requires a lot of effort.."

As soon as I stepped into the convenience store, I was greeted by a very annoyed Sofie.

"Actually, for your information, I had to do all the restocking! And that does require effort."
"Yeah, yeah, whatever."
"Anyways, since when did you start working out huh? How did manage to break down the fucking door? You look hella skinny!" She starting touching my nonexistent muscles.

"Hey! What are you doing?" I pulled my arm away from her grasp.

"I was right! You're so skinny! What do you even eat? Salad? Are you being starved at home?! Blink twice if you are."
"My god, what do you want from me? Just get where you're going."
"Oh that's right! I'm going on a vacation! While you're stuck here doing 2 shifts. Hah!"

I hate her.

She sticked her tongue out and walked out of the store.

I want to choke her so bad right now.
Sigh, guess I'm alone now..

Never was I so scared of silence before, yet now, it freaked me out.

During that day my eyes not once left the door. It's honestly pathetic how a simple bell ring can make me jump and grip the knife in my pocket.

Fortunately for me, nothing unusual happened during the morning shift, but the scariest part was ahead of me. The night shift.
I wanted to sleep so bad but I knew I couldn't afford a nap right now. I had to stay awake, in case he came.

A few hours passed, it was now 4 in the morning, and I was feeling horrible. My head hurt, I felt cold, yet hot at the same time. I want to go home already, this is awful.

As minutes went by, my eyelids got heavier and heavier. But as hard as I tried to keep them open, the 2 days of no sleep got to me. I fell asleep.

the bell rang.

My eyes jolted open, i jumped up from my seat and looked around. I pulled the knife out from my pocket and got in a defencive stance.

Please let it not be him. Please.
My pulse got faster.

There wasn't anyone there.

Am I going insane? Maybe everyone was right, maybe I am just tired.. Either way, I'm gonna have to get used to this whole two shift thing.. well at least I'll have 20 minute breaks every now and then, well at least I can rest on fridays, saturdays and sundays, Andrew works those days. I wonder if him and Sofie have to deal with this terror..

I went back to the cash desk and looked at the time.
05:10
In 3 hours I have a breakfast break, maybe then I'll have a nap..

days passed, then a week passed but nothing really happened. I felt a lot better now that everything was back to normal. But I was still tired from not getting much rest, but I knew that if I didn't pay for that stupid door I'll get sued.

A month went by quickly, nothing changed. I still felt like I was being watched, but most of the time I just blamed it on the lack of sleep. I also started coughing a lot, though I wasn't really sick. So that's weird.

The door finally got replaced, but it was a very crappy door with no lock..but it's all I could afford. Now I don't have to work a night shift, but...I decided to stay so I can save enough money to get out of this godforsaken place. Maybe I just watched too many inspirational animes, or I became more responsible, those are the only things that can explain my non changeable choice.
Besides, two shift isn't that bad, I get like, what? 2 hours of sleep a day? Pfft whatever, I'm like Gaara, I don't need sleep.

Ughhhh why is this so heavy?
It was just another day, I was carrying a ladder to restock the toilet paper. I was in a good mood today since the weather was sunny, which was pretty rare for an April morning.There were a few people in the store, one of them being my new favourite client, sideburn guy, as I called him. He seemed like a cool guy and came everyday to buy a pack of cigarettes and some junk food. Well at least he doesn't seem edgy.
I climbed the ladder, hands full of paper rolls.

The bell rang, I looked over to see who came in..