chapter XXIII: A LOT OF HAIR-PULLING

It seemed that the situation was hopeless.  But I wanted to live. I wasn't giving up so easily.

Without thinking about anything, I punched him with all I had in the stomach. 
What I was hoping for.. Tobias continued to stand there, gripping my hand, as if nothing had happened.

  I was getting ashamed of my punch and my hopes.  I couldn't understand, am I that weak?  Or is he that strong?  Or maybe it's something else. 

His sarcastic voice disrupted the stuffy silence. 

"Fine, I'll act along. Ow, that hurt." 

He let go of my hand.  I didn't even pay attention to his horrible acting skills.  I simply did not care about his mocking.  I quickly stepped away from him, backing up against the wall. 

If only he would move away from the door..at least a little.. Would I be able to escape then?  I bet the rest of the doors aren't locked.  Tobias walked towards me. 

Damn it... he's teasing me, playing with me.  He lets me go, then walks up to me.  Why is he doing all this?  For what?  Okay, he's too unpredictable, I probably shouldn't look for meaning in his actions.
I myself will act unpredictably. 

Pushing off the wall, I tried to run past him, or at least confuse him.  I didn't even hope for victory or freedom .. But still, my courage surprised me myself.  Maybe it was just me, but I saw freedom, the threshold of the door. 

Tobias only needed one tug on my collar to send me back to the floor.  I guess I was too exhausted. 

Landing on my elbows, I felt dizzy, everything was blurry. 
Looking up, I saw Tobias looming over me.  I could clearly see his gaze. 

It was a look that promised destruction and pain, a smirk from which goosebumps ran down my back, and fear ran through my body.  The scar on his cheek only added to the revulsion, in stark contrast to the rest of his face.  It was a disturbing sight. 

"Well, well, well, where do you think you're going?" 
Ignoring his question and the headache I had, I stood up.  Only to fall again.  For some reason, Tobias didn't want me to get up. 
He took a full fist of my hair and dragged me back to the floor. 

I yelled and squirmed.  But that only pissed him off?  I couldn't say for sure.  I knew absolutely nothing about him.  I didn't understand him or his actions at all.  He threw me against the wall.  I hit my head badly, maybe even smashed it..

While I was writhing in pain, he came closer.  "Well, where are you going in such a hurr, hm? I didn't even bandage your hand. I spent my money on these bandages, y'know?" 

Crouching down in front of me, he reached for my hand.  But I didn't want that maniac to touch me, I didn't want his help.

I knew it was absurd, but for some reason my pride suddenly showed itself.  I hit him again, this time in the face.  But again, his expression didn't change. It's useless...

"This is tarting to get on my nerves, you know? Have you hit your head so hard that now you don't understand simple things? You're going to get an infection. In-fec-tion, understand? Or have you gone mad here without  water? Don't worry, I brought you a drink."

He took out a newly bought bottle of water.

"Now open your mouth.." Without having time to decide whether I will accept his water or not, he decided for me.
He pulled me by the hair and shoved the bottle in my mouth. 
I didn't even think that the water I was craving so much would almost kill me.
I couldn't breathe. Tobias's glare was even more frightening.
Too much water, I couldn't stop it. I was choking. I desperately scratched at his hand,  mentally begging to let go, to give air.. seems my eyes began to get teary.

"Oh, I'm sorry.  I got distracted by your miserable existence, haha." He let me go. I vomited up almost all the water, my lungs were bursting, and my heart was raging. I gasped for air. I couldn't catch my breath.

"What's wrong with you?! What are you doing?! Do you want to kill me?! Then why didn't you do it sooner?! I don't understand you! Why did you drag me to this terrible place?! Why don't you just kill me already?!" I stuttered a lot, and my words were not clear. 

"Oh my, calm down.. you just have such a pretty face, but I'm not a faggot of course."  I looked weirdly at him.  "More specifically, I like your reactions. You're so funny when you're angry, afraid, trying to fight. Isn't it amusing?" 
"That's no reason to keep me in this disgusting place!" 

Looks like I forgot who I'm talking to.  But my boorish behavior didn't seem to bother him.  Does he like it? 

"You'll have to get used to it. You've only been here for two days. And anyway, you should be grateful that you're not paing, you're not working, you're not sitting in jail. Do you think it would be fun there?" 

What?  What is he talking about?  What does he even carry?  What other prison?  What nonsense?  He also wants my gratitude.  For what?  For dehydration?  For hunger?  For wounds?  It seems to me that the more I communicate with him, the more I lose the meaning of pretty much everything.

I admit, he has a talent for talking and scaring people.  From his..quite passionate.. words, I lose confidence.  Could he know something that I don't?  Of course, he didn't lose his memory.  My lack of knowledge of the past is my biggest flaw.  Does he know about it?  Will Tobias use this weakness against me? 

"But you can't keep me here forever." 

"What, would you stay here on your own? Of your own free will?" 
Does he do it on purpose?  He's not stupid, he knows the answer.  So why do all this circus? 

"What? Of course not! I don't want to be in the same room with you. You disgust me." 

Tobias chuckled.  "You say that without understanding what situation you're in. Oh right, I should probably feed you. We don't want you to die too soon. You'll be fine, won't you? Will you stay here while I go for food?"