Chapter 32

"Last night was fun," Oliver says between loud blasts of his blender as he makes his apparently signature breakfast smoothie. The dark green liquid froths as it swirls around the blender. I smile back at him from my barstool across the white marble counter. I'm still trying to process last night, this morning, all of it. Not to mention what happened a week ago. And it feels a lot harder to hide from all of it with the insane amount of sunlight that's flooding Oliver's bright kitchen.

"I don't think I've ever been so excited to not have sex before. The continual wanting, it's just..." he doesn't finish his sentence, but he hands me a glass of smoothie. It tastes surprisingly fruity for something with so much kale and various other greens—a pleasant blend of fruit and earth.

"I've never done that before—gotten so close without having sex, I mean. Not since I was new to... sex... anyway." I feel my cheeks heat as I stumble over the end of my sentence.

"'New to sex,'" Oliver chuckles. "I like that."

"I don't know what else to call it," I grin bashfully.

Johnny clears his throat before entering the stark white kitchen, and I move my wild hair around to the side of my neck that sports a large red and purple mark.

"I knew I heard smoothies," Johnny says, pouring himself a glass.

"How'd you sleep, J?"

"Not well, Ol. Not well. I slept on the god damn couch instead of in bed with Ellie. But you didn't say I couldn't use the bed, so you better believe I did everything but sleep there."

"I'll have the duvet deep cleaned," Oliver chuckles.

"Whatcha got there, Madison?" Johnny says, nodding to my not very hidden hickey.

I sigh and shoot Oliver a playful glare. "I don't think I even own enough makeup to cover this."

"What have you got going on today? Let's go get some."

"Really? Don't you have something more important to take care of?"

"What's more important than this?" Oliver asks, slinking around the counter and embracing me from behind. His warm mouth gently kisses the angry spot on my neck, and I feel myself becoming putty in his arms.

"I'm gonna go not sleep in that bed," Johnny says grumpily as he retreats from the kitchen with his glass of smoothie.