Chapter 41

Rachel is striking, with tan skin and dark, shiny hair. I'm immediately jealous of her long, slender limbs, which are elegantly on display in a goldenrod midi dress that shines like the sun amongst the black clad concert goers. There's no denying that she looks good next to Daniel, and I hate it.

But it's not her fault that she's standing next to the man who invades my thoughts at least once an hour. The man who made me come so hard I thought my body would rip in two. So as much as I wish she wasn't here, I can't let myself be that girl—the girl who takes her frustrations out on another woman just for existing.

"Did you enjoy the show?" I ask Rachel in my attempt to be cordial, and she looks up from her phone with a start.

"Hmm? Oh! Yeah! The screaming isn't really my scene, though." Her words come out in a quick stream, and I'm not sure if she's nervous or just a fast-talker.

"I'm not super into this type of music, but I thought it was excellent," I say. "Wade's a magnetic performer."

"Don't let him hear you say that," Daniel grins.

Security finally guides us to the green room, and Wade leaps from a couch when he sees us. "Hey! I'm so stoked you guys came!" He pulls Daniel and me into a simultaneous, sweaty hug.

When he releases us, Daniel introduces Rachel, and Wade swoops over in his dramatic fashion and takes her hand. "It's a pleasure." He gazes at her intently for just an instant too long for it to go unnoticed before he looks around the group. "So, what did you think?"

"You're amazing!" Rachel says, her answer much more enthusiastic than just moments ago, and Wade beams at her.

"I was impressed!" I admit. "And I don't know how you can talk after singing like that."

"I'm blushing," Wade replies, his dark eyes twinkling as they flit between the two of us.

"Are you excited to head out on the road?" Daniel asks him, and he nods.

"San Francisco next, then Portland, Seattle, Vancouver... in all, 40 dates."

"Jesus, that sounds exhausting," I gasp.

"But it's what I love to do!" Wade says, and his proud smile stretches so wide that his eyes nearly disappear within the crinkles of his face. "I have some tequila ready if you guys are up for some shots."

"Can we take them normally?" I ask.

Wade holds his hands out in a half-shrug. "Where would be the fun in that?"

My stomach twists as I imagine watching Daniel lick Rachel's wrist and her doing the same to his. "But I've reached my lifetime wrist-licking quota." It comes out a lot whinier than I'd hoped, but my heart rate is rising by the second. Perhaps coming back here with Daniel, particularly while he's on a date, wasn't the smartest idea.

"C'mon, this is our thing! I'll change it up. No more wrists," Wade says as he ushers us to a table with a small assortment of liquor and supplies.

Wade splashes liquid into four red plastic cups.

Daniel turns to Rachel, and he barely has to look down to catch her eyes. "You don't have to do this if you don't want to."

"I love a good drinking game," she responds, a soft smile on her oval face as she meets his gaze.

Fuck, fuck, fuck.

"Okay, so instead of wrists, we'll draw names and body parts," Wade says.

"I really don't want to lick anyone," I protest.