Chapter 19: Help from a Poodle

Our night was miserable to say the least. We walked out of Medusa's warehouse and headed west. We walked for a while as I still held up my scouting job. I turned around and saw the trio practically falling over as they walked. We came across a clearing that was littered with cans and confetti. I guess people came here to party.

"I guess this is the best spot to get some rest." I said stopping to the relief of everyone else. Everyone set up their places to sleep as I sat on top of a rock.

"I'll take first watch." I heard Percy say to the group.

"What? You're practically asleep right now. I can do the whole night. Just get some rest." I argued back.

Annabeth turned to me as if she was going to protest but Percy beat her to it.

"Y/N you're gonna be dying of sleep tomorrow if you do the whole night."

"I'll be fine." I told him. I guess it was enough for him as he put his head on the pillow. We immediately heard snores coming from him. I'm glad I didn't let Percy watch

"Are you sure you'll be able to watch the whole night." I turned to see gray orbs staring at me. Those eyes will never not scare me.

"Look at you guys. You're practically dying for sleep. Don't worry about me." I told her.

"Y/N, at least let me do half of it."

"Why are you so concerned with me? If I was Percy you would just go to sleep."

"Because you're my friend." She said softly.

That warmed my heart but it also felt like a knife went through it. Why? I don't know.

"Fine. Get some sleep. I'll wake you up." I told her. I was lying but I didn't want her to know that. She finally listened and put her head on her pillow facing away from me.

I turned around to see Grover staring blankly at the sky.
"Hey get some sleep. You got a few hours."

"This is awful." Was all he said

"You gotta be an optimist about these things the furies we-"

"No, not that. This!" He gestured to the soda cans and confetti laying on the ground.

"Humans have been tearing the earth up for centuries!!" This is the first time I've ever heard Grover worked up over anything.

"Keep your voice down." I whispered trying to calm him down.

"This is why I have to find Pan. I can't believe they don't see what they're doing!" He said half screaming half whispering.

"What's Pan. Like a kitchen pan?" I said confused

"No, Pan the god of the wild."

"Oh"

"Humans have been pillaging his realm for way too long. Ever after somebody told people he died."

"He's dead? Why are you looking for him then?" I asked in confusion

"That's what the humans think but satyrs believe he's still alive. That's why I need to complete this quest. So I can get my searchers license."

"So wh-" I was cut off by a voice coming through the woods.

Instinctively I looked towards my necklace but it was still an owl. Great.

The voice grew closer and I recognized it as a male with a heavy New Jersey accent.
I could now hear what it was saying,

"Why did they have to get cats!! Anything but cats"

The voice grew closer until I saw a pink poodle come out of one of the bushes. It stopped at the sight of me.

"Oh, why is a human out here?"

"That's rude to say right in front of one." The dog's eyes widened in surprise.

Behind me I could hear Grover get up.
"Hey, we don't mean any harm we're just kinda stuck out here."

"My name's Grover and this is Y/N. What's your name?

"Gladiola." The dog told us

"What are you guys doing out here and why can you talk to me."

"It's a long story." I said not really wanting a poodle to be my therapist.

"What happened?" The dog asked as he sat down in front of Grover.

Grover (to my surprise) just started talking freely about what happened. I thought about it and then thought that the only thing that a dog could consistently talk to is another dog. I guess we were fine.

Grover continued the story as the dog listened.

"I can help you." The dog said as the story finished.

"Wh- How?" I asked

"I ran away from my home. There's now a reward out for me. You could use the money on a train that leaves tomorrow."

"I'm beginning to like this dog." I said slightly laughing.

Grover sat back on his sleeping bag with the poodle while yawning.

"I'm gonna go to sleep. If anything happens wake us up." Grover said while getting comfortable.

"Got you."

The next few hours were pretty boring. They consisted of watching squirrels running and jumping around trees or watching ants crawl out of a mound and grabbing anything nearby. Just a lot of animal watching.

I looked up to the sky and saw the moon slowly going down. Somehow I knew that it was around 03:37.

I randomly heard Annabeth's voice behind me.
"You were never going to wake me up were you?"

"Wouldn't want your dreams of Luke to be interrupted." I said smiling. She looked like she wanted to laugh but that look quickly got washed away by embarrassment and annoyance.

"You're insufferable."

"That's a weird way of pronouncing hilarious." I said
After that, we fell into a comfortable silence. I looked up at the dark blue sky wondering what my mother was doing. I also thought about what would happen if we weren't able to get the bolt.

"You are going to be dead tired when that sun comes up." Annabeth said disrupting my spiral into my thoughts.

"Oh I know but I would rather have you three be well rested."

At this time Annabeth sat next to me.

"You should go to sleep."

"Annabeth, we talked about this. I'm not tired"

"Just lay down. Relax." Her voice was more along the lines of a purr rather then Annabeth's voice.

That voice weirdly had an effect on me and I obeyed her. I laid down and my eyelids felt like 200 pound weights were on top of them.

"Why did I listen to you."

"Just go to sleep, moonshine."

I was about to make fun of the  nickname     but.       couldn't              find              the  
                energy                to......

________________________________

A/N: Any criticism and suggestions are always welcome.