Chapter 24: car wash

I sat there looking out the window at the smoking arch. It was a beautiful sight but horrific sight. The police lights slowly fade into the moonlight. The sight almost made me forget what happened there. I can't believe that I was an eagle and I can't believe I fought a monster an-

"How did you do it?" I heard Annabeth ask
"Do what?"
"Survive the fall."
Oh, uh, guess I forgot to tell you that. I kinda, what's the best way to put this, turned into a bird."
"What?" She asked like I was crazy
"I turned into a bird."

Her face then turned to an unreadable expression.

"What is something wrong with me?" I asked now slightly concerned.

"It's nothing." She now had a puzzled look.

"Annabeth." I prompted. "What is wrong?"

She looked away from me towards the other boys in the compartment. Percy looked like he was trapped in his mind while Grover was listening with undivided attention.

Annabeth grabbed my arm and dragged me out of the compartment and we were now standing in the aisle. This is how I knew it was serious.

"Has Chiron told you about the prophecy."
"You have to be more specific than that."
She looked me directly into my eyes. Not gonna lie it was intimidating.

"This isn't a joke!" She half yelled. "Okay, sorry let me rephrase. Besides this quest's prophecy has Chiron told you any other prophecy."

"No. Why?"

She looked at me like I was a stray dog worthy of sympathy. She opened her mouth as if to say something but nothing came out.

"Chiron told you not to tell me. Didn't he?"

She only nodded.

"Annabeth, prophecies mostly have double meanings don't dwell on it for too long."

I was insanely curious about what happens to me in the prophecy but I didn't want to pry because Annabeth seemed like she would punch me in the throat if I asked about it. Speaking of which, she looked like she was trying to solve an equation but every time she got close to an answer she would be blocked by something.

"Are you ok?" I asked somewhat knowing what the answer would be.

"I'm... fine."

I decided not to press further and I just opened the door back into the train compartment for her.

The rest of the train ride was uneventful but that wasn't bad after the eventful night earlier.

The next afternoon, June 14th, our train rolled into Denver and I was hungry and in desperate need of a shower.

"We should contact Chiron," Annabeth stated

"With what?" Percy asked. "We can't use phones."

"I'm not talking about phones."

Annabeth then just walked ahead, looking for something.

I looked at Percy and just shrugged,
"You know what she's looking for?"
"Nope,"  Percy replied

'Well, I guess we'll find out.' I thought as I just followed her around the town. We just kept walking and walking and walking until we arrived at a car wash. We went inside while I kept an eye out for any police car because three random adolescents in a car wash with no car seems only slightly suspicious.

"What are we doing here?" I heard Percy ask behind me.

Grover seemingly ignored him while taking out a spray gun.