Chapter 36: Distraction

"The stretcher," Percy added. My mind raced. I've heard of his story and if he planned to "make us fit" it wasn't gonna end well. I quickly looked over to Percy. He was clearly going through the same "what should I do?" Situation. With Crusty's hand clamped on my neck, he steered me towards one of the water beds. It was green with ornate carvings of flowers and a meadow. I could barely look at it before he shoved me onto the bed.

He snapped his fingers, "Ergo." Immediately I felt and saw ropes flying from the sides of the bed at breakneck speed and wrapping around me. The ones that came from the top of the bed wrapped around my upper body, right underneath my armpits, while the lower ones wrapped around my legs. As soon as they did, they started pulling. At first, it actually felt pretty good. My spine did a very satisfying pop but it quickly turned to pain.

"Yeah." The stretcher said, referring to Percy's comment. "But who can pronounce Procrustus? Bad for business. Now Crusty, anyone can say that." This guy is insane. My mind was trying to find ideas but there was always a flaw with each of them. Until I got one. I didn't like asking for help but when I'm about to get stretched to death, I think it's a good call.

I focused as hard as I can and sent a prayer. "Hey mom, weird thing to ask but is there any chance you could save me from becoming a tube man?"

I didn't hear anything. GREAT! I quickly turned my attention back to Percy and Procrustus.

"Yeah, it has a good ring to it," Percy said.

His eyes lit up. "Ya think so?"

"Oh absolutely," Percy added. "and the workmanship on the beds, fabulous!" My back felt like it was on fire.

He grinned hugely.
"I tell my customers that every time. Nobody bothers to look at the workmanship. I mean, how many built-in-lava-lamp-headboards have you seen?"

"Not too many," Percy  said.
"Exactly," Procrustus said.

I randomly heard Annabeth's voice shouting. "Percy, what are you doing?" I glanced back at Annabeth and could see her being more stretched than I was. I looked over to Grover and saw the same situation. THINK, COME ON!

Percy and Procrustus had now navigated their way to the other side of the store. I couldn't see them anymore as one of the shelves was in the way. Now, I could only hear their voices.

"Don't worry about her," Percy said. "She's impossible."

The giant laughed. "All of my customers are! They're never six feet exactly! So inconsiderate, and then they complain about the fitting."

An idea came from the back of my mind.
"Μετέωρο" My strained voice whispered.

The double-bladed sword appeared floating just in front of me. It was upright with the hilt pointing down.

I tried to use my chest to touch it, hoping that it would obey gravity if I touched it. I pushed out my chest and barely touched the hilt. It did as I hoped and started obeying gravity.

Now, let me tell you one thing about swords: Swords + falling = pain or loss of limb.

I didn't think about that.

The sword fell and the hilt hit my stomach and the blade fell towards my face. I quickly moved my head and it barely missed my head by inches. It hit my chest though, which probably means I have a long cut running up it but right now that's my smallest concern.

I breathed a massive sigh of relief. The blade was now laying across my chest with the top of the edge resting on my left shoulder. I tried to think of what to do next, but thinking is pretty tricky when you're stretched.

After a few seconds, (don't do this at home) I bit down on the light steel and threw my head back, which made the sword go up nearly reaching my right hand. I did random movements until I finally got the blade within reach. And by blade I mean blade.

I grabbed the blade of the sword, which made a massive cut on my hand but I had the sword. I adjusted it in my hand and cut the ropes.

Oh, thank Gods.

After a few moments of just sitting there, getting the feeling back in my limbs I went to help Grover who was in a bed to my left.

I couldn't see Percy and Crusty so I had to listen to their conversation to figure out where they were. When I went to free Grover, they seemed to be on the other side of the store.

When I got to Grover's bed he was getting stretched so far that he wasn't even really laying on the bed anymore. The ropes were pulling him so much that he was off the bed and was practically floating above it.

I cut the ropes and he landed on the bed. Thankfully, the bed didn't make much noise.

He stayed there for a moment before he slowly got up and whispered his thanks. We quickly got by one of the shelves, which was right in front of the bed that I was on.

I decided to tune into Percy and Crusty's conversation.

"... if they're longer than six feet?" Percy's voice rang through the shop.
"Oh that happens all the time," Crusty said.

I got the courage to look out from the shelf towards the voices just in time to see Crusty holding a double-edged axe.

"I just center the subject as best I can and lop off whatever hangs over on either end." He said nonchalantly.
"Oh." Percy gulped. "Sensible."

"I'm so glad to come across an intelligent customer." Crusty smiled.

Crusty had his  back to me as he put the axe away but Percy didn't. I tried to get Percy's attention so I quickly moved my sword into, then out of, line of sight.
"So Crusty," Percy said in a light voice. "What about this side of the shop," Percy gestured to the side that I and Grover were on.
"Surely, there are more unique models over here."

Crusty smiled brightly.
"Of course. My favorite one happens to be the one, your friend is on. It will be perfect to show the dynamic stabilizers."

Crusty quickly navigated Percy closer and closer toward us. The closer he got, the tighter I gripped my sword.

I ducked my head back into my hiding spot and waited to see purple clothes come into view. I heard his footsteps echo through the store, getting louder.

I saw his purple suit come into view and I immediately thrust my sword into his chest.

He didn't even get the chance to make a sound.

________________________________

A/N: Sorry about the delay. I wrote and re-wrote this chapter so many times and I plan on editing this chapter later but here you go and as always:

Criticism is welcome.