Chapter 22: I would like the fast pass to leave the arch.

We started working our way through the city as the arch was only a few miles away from the train station. As we were walking towards the arch, I finally took in the area that I was in. I looked around and saw the buildings that surrounded me as if I was just a small pebble compared to them. The arch became more and more intimidating as I finally saw its sheer size of it. The steel reflected the sun as it beat down on us from the sky.

On our way there we walked through an underground museum, but we had to cut the tour short because Grover talked like his stomach was about to collapse in on itself, so we used some of our mortal money to buy some jellybeans for ourselves. After that, we got in line to get in an elevator and up to the top of the arch. The lines weren't that long and right off to the side of the lines were little stands with information on the things that helped build the arch, how they built it etc.

I was only somewhat interested in the information on the stands, but Annabeth looked at them like Christmas gifts under the tree. She would read all of the stands in full and even hold up the line just to finish the sentence on it. On the other hand, me, Grover, and Percy would just silently eat the Jellybeans that we got when all of a sudden Percy looked up and scanned the room as if he lost something in there.

"Do you smell anything?"

Grover lifted his head up and sniffed, "The underground smells a lot like monsters. It's nothing."

Now, I was concerned, and I could tell Percy was as well. If Grover smelled anything that even remotely resembled monsters then I would think the best option for us was to leave. Evidently, Annabeth didn't share our concern as she grabbed my arm and practically threw me into the elevator. Guess we were at the front of the line. The other two got in the elevator, Percy a little bit hesitant but he got in. We had some extra room in the elevator, which I was happy about, but got filled with a fat lady and her little...Chihuahua? Never seen that breed before.

As soon as the elevator closed the fat lady started talking,

"No, parents?" Why is that the first question people ask?

I turned to her to answer but was caught off guard by her face. Her eyes were beady black, and she had pointy teeth almost as if she were a shark that walked out of the ocean.

"They're below." Annabeth covered for me. "They're scared of heights."

"Oh, poor darlings."

The dog growled at us. The woman said, "Not now, sonny."

I looked down at the dog and started getting even more creeped out. It had the same beady eyes as its owner.

"Sonny, is that its name?" Percy asked.

"No." Like that clears anything up.

The elevator dinged and the doors opened. The observation deck looked like what an ant would see if it walked into a semi-crushed mint box. Annabeth exited the elevator and slowly the rest of us followed. Percy had a look of concern and uncomfortableness,

"You alright?"

"Don't do well in confined spaces."

"We'll be off in a little bit," I reassured him.

I turned my attention to the windows and picked the window right next to the one Annabeth was looking out of. She kept talking about how she would have made the windows larger, put in more support, etc. I found it somewhat interesting when she started rambling because it was almost as if part of her mind would come up with a good idea and then the other part would shut it down almost immediately. But when she did come up with an idea it had no flaws in it. I guess that's because of being a child of Athena.