Chapter Ten: Dragons

~.~.~Parts 20 and 21~.~.~
•Y/n's POV•

The chamber that lead to the trophy room was cold and empty when me and Cedric left after Rita Skeeter's interview. Nerves slowly bubbling inside of me about the tournament and the first task.

"Cedric." I said quietly, so only he could hear.

"Yeah, what's up Y/n." He replied, looking down at me with a warm smile.

"Is it just me, or did that interview make you more stressed about the tournament?" I asked nervously.

"I'm sort of excited, but there are some nerves there some nerves there too. Did it make you nervous?"

"Of course it did. I'm fifteen, I hardly know any advanced magic. I'm a fifth year, I do not have many skills as you. How am I about to go into this deadly tournament with no skills! How am I not supposed to be stressed!" I blurted out in a panic, a hand brushing through the hair to get it out of my face.

"Y/n." Cedric said, taking me by the shoulders to turn me to face him. "I know it's stressful, I know how it feels. But trust me when I say this, you're going to smash it, and I'll help you with anything that you need and I'll make sure you'll be okay. I promise you."

"Thank you, Cedric. I appreciate it." I smiled, a glimmer of hope sparked.

"So, what do you think, head to the kitchen to get some snacks before I beat you in exploding snap." Cedric smiled cockily.

"Sounds amazing!" I started, walking down the corridor. "And just so you know, I will beat you, you suck at exploding snap."

"You're on Lestrange!" Cedric cheered.

~.~.~One Week Later~.~.~

The corridors between lessons were packed like usual. My mind was blurred of the thought of going to charms, and the first task looming in the back of my mind when I felt my shoulder bump into someone.

"Oh sorry." I subconsciously said, not really paying attention to who I bumped into.

"Oh Y/n! Just the person I'm looking for!" The voice said, I whipped my head around to see Harry standing in front of me, a worried look on his face.

"Hey Harry, what do you need me for?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

"I need to talk to you, and Cedric. Do you know where he is?" He asked, adjusting his bag on his shoulder.

"He has a free period, so I haven't got a clue. My only guess is either the common room or went outside with his friends, on the bench under the tree.

"Cool, let's try there." Harry said, we walked in awkward silence to the square where there was a tall oak tree with a marble bench under the shade of the tree.

By the time Harry and I reached the edge of the of the garden. Cedric was on the bench. He was with a load of sixth-year friends. Harry didn't want to talk to Cedric in front of them; they were among those who had been quoting Rita Skeeter's article at him every time he went near them.

Harry and I approached the white marble bench where Cedric was laying across it, with his head resting on the lap of one of his friends, Ruben Sanders. As we got close, his friends ooohed and ahhhed at me and Harry, and started to talk about Harry.

"Read the badge, Potter!" Another one of his friends said.

"Cedric, can I have a word?" Harry asked, completely ignoring the comment.

"Alright." He shrugged, laughing to his friends as he stood up and turned around.

"You stink Potter!" Ruben yelled, Cedric turned around and laughed at his comment. My eyes furrowed and I turned around too.

"HEY!" I yelled. "You leave Harry alone. Or you'll regret it, Sanders!"

He quickly shut up, and Harry was smirking.

"Dragons." Harry said.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"That's the first task. They've got one for each of us, and we've got to get past them."

"Wait, WHAT! Dragons?" I said.

I stared at him. I saw some of the panic that Cedric been feeling since Saturday night flickering in his gray eyes.

"Are you sure?" Cedric said in a hushed voice.

"Dead sure," said Harry. "I've seen them."

"But how did you find out? We're not supposed to know. . . ." I asked.

"Never mind," said Harry quickly.

"And Ummmm, Fleur and Krum, do they know about this?" Me and Cedric asked at the same time.

"Yes." Harry said simply. Harry nodded and was about to walk off when Cedric took his elbow.

"Hey listen, about the badges, I've asked them not to wear them." Cedric said. I snorted.

"Don't worry about it." Harry said and then walked off.

"You're not doing enough Cedric." I huffed, straightening up and crossing my arms.

"What do you mean Y/n?" He asked.

"You're letting your friends make fun of Harry." I quipped

"I'm trying."

"I saw you laughing at them. Especially when Sanders made that comment." I angrily said, raising an eyebrow. "If you're not going to make them take it off, I will." I smirked and pushed past him.

"Wait Y/n!" He said. I stopped in my tracks and slowly turned around. "Can I ask you something?"

I nodded.

"I'm trying okay. So what makes you think that I'm not trying? He asked.

"That's irrelevant right now. The point is that you are letting your friends make fun of a fourteen year old boy. He has to put up with so much, and is not expected to fight a dragon in a few weeks. Give him a break. And the last thing he needs is to hear your other friends make fun of him. You're changing Cedric, and I'm not I like it." I ranted. "So you better do something."

I sighed, and walked off to my charms lesson, a feeling in my gut of what I just said to my best friend.

Word Count: 1000
A/N: Sooooooo... it's been a while (like a month). I'm sorry I haven't posted on here for such a long time!! I've been really busy with my college work and my UCAS application so I haven't had time to write. I'm sorry this is such a bad chapter, I'm trying to get back into to the groove of writing, so hopefully I can get back to a regular posting schedule. Have a great day :)

From
~Ella