Chapter Thirty- Nine | The Art of Persuasion

I awoke in the morning to sunlight filtering in through the white linen curtains waving with the soft dawn breeze. My cheek was pressed firmly against David's chest. I could feel every breath he took, every proud beat his heart made. My eye lashes fluttered and I lifted my head to orient myself. Blankets, robes, belts, and dresses were strewn carelessly on the cold tile. I smiled as I remembered the events of the night before. He had filled me up with everything he had; his love, passion, desire, tenderness, sorrow, and regret. It was like nothing I had ever experienced before. It left me satiated yet hungry all at once.

Would it be enough? I glimpsed down at my belly, the desire to cradle life inside me again thrummed alive.

David hummed softly with each exhale, his eyes flickering back and forth- indicating he was still deep in sleep. I lowered my head to his exposed cheek and placed a lingering kiss. Then I slipped out from underneath the thick fabrics. The cold tile kissed my bare feet. I shuddered as the cool morning air raked passed my naked body. I scanned the floor for my clothing. Hurriedly I clothed myself and inched quietly towards the door.

*~*~*~*

I spent the rest of my day lounging in the baths, and when my skin had finally pruned I decided to roam in the gardens. I let the sun warm my skin, and enjoyed the fresh fragrance of the flowers and plants surrounding me.

"Sheba," a familiar voice called out to me. When I turned I saw Abigail approaching timidly. I offered her a smile, but she pressed her lips together tightly in return.

"Is everything okay?"

She hesitated. I had never seen her so nervous, except when I had lost my beloved son. I tried to force that image out of my mind- the look of terror she had when I slipped in and out of consciousness was one that was imprinted on my memory.

"Sheba, I don't know how to tell you this... I want you to know from me before any palace gossip reaches your ears."

I instinctively reached for her hands, offering her my support and strength.

"You can tell me anything, Abigail. You know this."

She nodded her head stiffly and her eyes fell to the grass.

"I'm pregnant."

I stared at her in shock for a long moment. Silence fell between us. Her delicate eyes searched mine for a response. I dropped her hands. I shook my head in disbelief. She reached for me and I jerked away from her touch.

Before I could register what I was doing, my feet were carrying me out of the garden and away from the sound of her voice. I ran until I couldn't breathe. Betrayal and disappointment constricted my chest. Silent tears ran down my face. I slumped against the nearest sturdy column and collapsed against it.

I stayed this way until a servant passed me by and seeing how distraught I was summoned help. I was carried to my chambers and laid in my bed. I ignored their questions. My emotions held me captive in a catatonic state. Physicians were summoned for fear I was Ill.

The only sickness I had was a broken heart.

~*~*~*~*

When the King summoned me to his chambers again that night my servants informed his messenger in hushed tones that I was unwell. The hesitation in my servants' voice on how much information to give the King's messenger was cut through the room. It was only a short time later that he burst into my chamber demanding to see me. I was curled up in a ball underneath layers of fine silk and fur.

"Bathsheba," he murmured, voice drenched in concern and worry at the sight of me. Did I look as awful as I felt, I wondered to myself.

He sat gently lowered himself onto my bed by my side. "I was told you were Ill." It wasn't a question but a statement. His brow furrowed, eyes narrowed as he surveyed me up and down.

"My only affliction is your lies," I spit the treasonous words at his face.

"What do you mean?"

Tears poured freely from my eyes. He flinched at the sight of them. More unnerved by the sight of me unraveling than the accusations I had just boldly proclaimed.

"You told me I was the only one. You promised me a child!"

You made me trust you. I fell for it. I should have known better. You made a fool of me a second time.

With a firm but gentle hand he gripped the back of my neck. It was as if he could sense my unspoken words and spiraling thoughts and wanted to ground me to him.

"And a child we will have. You must be patient, my love. It will happen. Perhaps not this month. But there will be more months to come."

I scoffed.

"I'm not lamenting the arrival of my courses! Abigail is pregnant."

David paled. His eyes searched mine for any sign of deceit.

"You did not know," I asked, my voice softening.

Was I the first person she told?

"I never lied to you. You are the only one I've been with since I first laid with you. When I told you that you were the only one I wanted- I meant it. Whatever child Abigail is carrying- surely isn't mine."

My eyes widened in horror. The color that had washed from his face was soon singed with the heat of his anger. Guilt bubbled up inside of me. Had iI just betrayed my best friend? Was she now in danger because of my pride and jealousy?

His grip tightened. I winced and jutted my chin out. My cries of pain broke him from his trance of seething rage.

"I'm so sorry, my love."

His chest was heaving. I couldn't let him leave. Not until he was calm. Abigail's fate depended on it and so did my conscience.

"I was jealous," I admitted to him. "At the thought of you with another woman. It crushed me."

His breathing slowed. His eyes locked with mine intently. The redness of his cheeks lightened to a bright pink. He was still raging, but his senses were no longer as clouded.

"Bathsheba, now is not the time. We can have this conversation when I return. There is a much more pressing matter I must attend to." The muscle in his jaw pulsed as he clenched his teeth tightly.

I gripped onto his arm as he swiftly rose from the bed.

"If you leave now I'll lose my courage."

Curiosity slowed his departure from my side.

"Your courage to do what," he asked in a low, sultry tone. His irritation was palpable, but I knew it was misplaced. He had been betrayed- just as I thought I had been.

"To confess..."

He arched his eyebrow.

"That I think I'm falling for you."