Chapter Seventeen | Condemned

I strain my hearing, edging my ear forward, to decipher any of the guard's murmurings. They lead me through the corridor, failing to listen or answer my questions. I huff in frustration wondering why I am being summoned to the throne room without an explanation. Although, I am glad at the chance to be free from the King's unbearable chambers.

They abruptly freed me from my state of boredom and isolation without the smallest clue as to why. All they said to ease my curiosity was, "The King has summoned you to the throne room."

When the doors are pushed open by the guards I feel an overwhelming number of eyes settle on me. One pair of eyes is familiar, so I focus in on him as I gracefully approach where he stands. Noises of chatter and conspiratorial whispers fill the room. I notice the stranger I encountered the day before standing proudly by his side.

Guards form a barrier around the room, their muscles unflinching, eyes trained straight ahead of them. They will offer me no clues as to why I am here. King David motions to his side, and I obey his unspoken command to stand beside him. He addresses the court officials gathered, in a serious tone. I spot my grandfather among their ranks, his tall stature making him hard to overlook.

"As you all know, the life of my dear wife, Bathsheba was threatened when a snake was planted in her bed. I have been searching relentlessly for the assailant. With the help of Ahithophel, I can now apprehend this traitor."

A hush falls over the room. The only sound I can hear is my hearts thunderous pulsing.

"Baruch," The King bitterly states. Gasps fill the air as all eyes turn to the weathered elderly man with a long white beard and a hooked nose.

He begins to stutter, seemingly at a loss for words. Before he has any time to react two guards secure him in their hold. I watch them bring my would-be assassin closer towards me. He is dragged by his feet when he struggles to walk. Then, the guards release him without warning and he is flung before the King. I look at this man in shock. Could he really be the one who tried to end my life? Tears begin to prick at my eyes as the terrifying memories begin to flash through my mind. His eyes aimed low, he avoids my gaze.

"You were one of my most trusted advisers. You've been with me from the beginning. How could you betray me like this?"

He says nothing, his lower lip beginning to tremble. I look up at the King. His cheeks are beginning to burn with rage, becoming almost as fiery as his hair.

"You tried to kill my wife and the child she carries! You were the one who implicated Michal in your crime! You risked her life as well. Have you nothing to say?!"

David lunges towards him, his anger unhinged. Baruch yelps, his hands shaking violently in front of his face, acting as a shield to King David's fury. King David grabs the collar of his adviser's robe, thrusting him into the air. He thrashes his dangling feet, searching for the ground to sturdy himself on. Then, he grips the King's wrist where a fistful of his robe is clenched tightly. Too tightly. The silky fabric of the robe's opening is cutting off his airway.

"Your Majesty... I have always been... loyal to you and your household. I could not have done this," He chokes out.

"Why would my highest ranked adviser lie to me? Ahithophel found this..." He roars, releasing his hold on Baruch. He immediately collapses to the floor. His hands clasp around his throat as he violently hacks and gasps for breath. One guard approaches the king, an intricately handwoven basket in his brawny hands. The pattern and shape spark my memory. I've seen this type of basket before. The palace guard hands it to the King, then retreats silently into the corner where he came.

"This was found hidden in your quarters."

King David shakes the basket and any thoughts about its familiarity are cast from my mind as the cacophony of angry hisses reverberates from within. I gasp, but no one turns to look at me. everyone's eyes are locked onto the basket. There is no mistaking that sound. Snakes. A thick blanket of sheer shock and abject terror settles over the room. Baruch is still on his knees, heaving. His eyes have widened to the size of saucers.

"No," He mutters hoarsely. "Please, your Majesty."

The king snaps his fingers, unmoved by Baruch's denials and protests. Baruch is hauled to his feet by two burly palace guards and dragged out of the throne room.

"Your majesty, please," He begs desperately. I flinch, a muscle in my cheek twitches. Then, my insides begin to churn. This man tried to end my life, so why do I feel this way?

When the whispers finally die down I can feel myself beginning to breathe again. The court officials begin and royal subjects begin to disperse, but not before throwing callous glances my way. My grandfather is the exception. My eyes instinctively search for his, but I cannot find him. He's gone. When the throne room is cleared King David steps in front of me, his eyes beckoning mine to meet his. I avert his eyes and find a spot on the floor to focus on instead.

"You're safe now. Baruch will meet his fate."

I nod my head, still dazed by everything that happened.

"May I return to my chambers now?"

"You are no longer in danger now. You are free to do so," He says, reluctantly.