Chapter Fourteen | Assassination Attempt

The viper locks eyes with me, rearing its head to strike. His tongue slips in and out of his mouth as he releases a low his. I stumble hastily out of bed, plunging gracelessly to the floor.

"Guards! Help! Help!"

My voice bounces off these solid walls and echoes through the palace. A pair of guards burst through my doors, adding to the chaos.

"What's the matter," The taller of the two shouts, swords already drawn.

I point a shaky finger towards my bed. Their eyes grow wide. I do not stay to watch what unfolds. I no longer feel safe here. The floor is cold as my feet pound against it. My blood, still pumping profusely, fuels my speed.

I turn down each hall. My eyes squinting in the dim light. The guards, stone-faced, eye me as I rush past them. I do not know what draws me to come this way. I'm shocked at myself, but I suppress the chiding voice inside.

I clutch my stomach firmly, looking down as I try to catch my breath. That's when I lose it. The tears begin to flow, and my body convulses with the force of the sobs wracking throughout me. I crumple to the floor, raising a fist to my eyes.

I do not weep for myself, but for the child that I carry. He is all that I have, and he could have been hurt if the snake had bitten me. The image of the creature is the only thing that captures my attentions. This only strengthens my tears, causing me to cry harder.

I gasp, my eyes wide and alert despite the tears. I feel someone's arms wrapping around me. I'm lifted off the ground before I have time to even process what is happening.

"Hold onto me," He whispers, his voice low and sultry. Reluctantly I place my hand on his chest and wrap the other one around his neck. King David's arms are hooked underneath my knees and waist. I bounce slightly with each forceful footstep he takes.

I know I hate him, but his warmth invites me in. All my actions since I've came to live in the palace have been callous towards him, but now, in this moment, I am at my most vulnerable. I cannot help but lay my head against his chest and let his white robe soak my tears.

He shushes me soothingly when I struggle for words. They tumble out of my mouth forming nonsense.

"Breathe. Then, tell me what happened."

I obey him and take in a deep breath.

His eyes watch with an intensity that makes my skin burn. With furrowed brows and eyes ablaze with anger he waits for me to try again. I avert my eyes, letting them fall to the floor. His gaze robbing me of my words.

"There was a viper in my bed!"

"Are you hurt? Is that why you fell?"

I shake my head.

"No, I called the guards and fled the room," I explain.

The muscles in his face relax a little.

He nods his head, and I follow his line of sight, craning my neck to see the two guards opening his chamber doors.

"Your chambers," I ask, wondering why he would have brought me here.

"There is no safer place in the entire palace than my chambers. I will get to the bottom of this. Right now, though, you must be exhausted. I wouldn't want the child to become distressed. What you need right now is rest."

The inside of his chambers several lamps are lit along with the torches hanging from each column. No wonder he heard me crying. He must have already been wide awake. He sets me down slowly onto his bed. His eyes trail down the length of me, taking me in.

He places his hands on my stomach, then lifts his eyes towards mine. I feel a flutter inside me, that I know is not my own. The child is stirring, as if he recognizes the touch of his father.

"I will call the prophet to make sure the child is alright. Meanwhile, try to get some rest if you can."

He turns from me, but instinctively, and against my better judgement, I latch onto his robe.

"You're leaving me?"

He jerks back around, his arms raised above his sides. Lifting his eyebrows he says, "I didn't think you'd want me to stay."

I shake my head causing tresses of my unkempt hair to scatter around my face while I tug on his robe with clenched fists.

He sighs, then raises his hands in defeat.

"Alright. I'll stay."

~*~*~*~*~

I'm awakened by the early morning sun. When I open my eyes I scan the bed, then the rest of the King's chamber, only to find it empty. Where is the king? He promised to stay with me. It was the only reason I was able to fall asleep.

The palace is eerily quiet, too quiet. I lift myself from the bed and pad softly to the double doors. Cracking them open releases a long whine which alerts the guards posted outside.

"The King," I ask them.

"In the throne room, highness," One answers, gruffly.

They eye me curiously, but hold their tongues. I can tell what they are thinking. They are wondering why I would embarrass the king by announcing myself while clothed in plain sleeping garb. It is something I would never do. The throne room is where the King's officials and nobles receive him.

I would make a mockery of him if I were to present myself this way, without a formal gown and jewels.

Which is why when I reach the throne room I don't announce myself. Instead, I have the guards open the door just a slit. The crack is barely noticeable to anyone inside. I peer through it, my curiosity quenched when I spot the king. Except, he's not alone.

In front of him is a slender servant girl. I can barely hear what they are saying. I push my ear closer to the door, hoping to make out their faint voices. He waves a hand and dismisses her. With a snap of his fingers a guard approaches him, something black dangling in his hands.

I shriek, but clasp a hand over my mouth to hold back the sound. It's too late. The King's eyes dart from the snake and pierce through the distance between us. He locks eyes with me. My heart begins to race. I brace myself for his anger, but it never comes.

He motions for me to enter. I reluctantly obey, pushing the door open wider so I can slip through. My eyes move frantically all over the room, as I nervously tread barefooted to where the King stands.

"Everyone out," He commands, sensing my insecurity. The room immediately disperses.

"Recognize him," He asks, pointing to the headless snake that found its way in my bed last night.

I nod my head. The events from last night unfolding in my mind.

"Was it poisonous?"

"One of the deadliest snakes in our land," He answers. "Your guards took care of it quickly and brought me its slaughtered remains."

He breaches the space between us and towers above me, forcing me to slightly tilt my head back to meet his eyes.

"You're not angry with me are you?"

His voice is soft, matching the gentleness in his eyes. I suddenly feel uncomfortable. He senses my confusion.

"For leaving you after you drifted to sleep," He elaborates.

"Oh. I didn't notice until this morning," I admit. He rests the palm of his hand in the crook of my neck and begins to tug gently at my hair. Nudging me forward, my face almost brushes against his.

"Although, I would have loved to have spent the night by your side I knew the best way I could protect you was by getting to the bottom of this entire thing. And I have gotten to the bottom of it. I promise you, Bathsheba, Michal will be punished for her treachery."

That familiar spark of rage ignites in his eyes, tugging at the corner of his lips in a sneer.

I inhale a sharp breath. Surely I heard wrong.

"Michal?!"