Chapter Fourteen- Part 2 | Mercy

"Stop. I don't want any of this written down," The King snaps at the scribe.

His beady eyes widen and he fumbles with his quill. Accidentally, he splatters his bottle of ink onto the harsh throne room floor. When he stoops to clean the oozing black liquid, seeping into the tile cracks, he releases a quiet murmur from his crusted lips.

"Leave," He demands, his voice coated with aggravation.

I can't help but nibble on my bottom lip. When the scribe finally retreats out of a side entrance, I have no choice but to find something new for my eyes to rest upon. I had tried desperately to avoid King David's penetrating gaze at all costs.

The fire kindling there is unnerving to my very core. The beautiful young woman standing before him, posture stiff and chin tilted high, attempts to stifle the shudders gradually taking over her body.

"How shall I punish her, Bathsheba?"

I finally look up at him, shock etched into every crevice of my face. A quiet whimper escapes Michal's lips. My heart wrenches. I could have never imagined this proud and dignified princess to tremble with tears of fear.

"I am your wife! Your first... You dishonor yourself by treating me thus!"

He narrows his eyes at her, incredulously.

"You plotted to have my wife killed!"

His voice echoes throughout the throne room, its lingering vibration sends chills down my spine. His thunderous voice commanded my eyes attention.

A throbbing vein bulges through the skin of his forehead. I instinctively tighten my arms around my stomach. The warmth that radiates from within always gives me comfort.

Michal whips her gaze backwards at me. Her tear stained cheeks glisten, her eyes blotchy and irritated. Her gaze falls to my stomach, and her face tightens instantly. I catch a muscle in her cheek twitching before she turns her eyes forward.

"Oh, yes, your beloved wife. The one you wed to cover up the child conceived from your adultery," She spews, bitterness dripping from her words.

Heat flushes to my cheeks. Is it so noticeable now? I thought I could still conceal it well enough, even though it has been getting more difficult.

Maybe it is a woman's instinct that exposes me, like with Abigail. She knew even when there was no definitive sign of my condition. Perhaps, Michal could sense it as well. The only other reasonable explanation is that someone told her. My condition must be spreading through the court like wild fire.

King David doesn't respond. His eyes dart away from Michal, averting them instead to the nearest window. The silence speaks volumes and magnifies the tense atmosphere.

Michal is the one to break the quiet, "You are one to accuse me of attempted murder after-"

The resounding blow jolts through the entire room. Michal clutches her cheek, a stream of blood dripping from the corner of her mouth. King David's hand is frozen in the air, outstretched and poised to strike again.

My lungs start to burn. I realize I haven't breathed in several moments. I finally release the gasp I was holding inside. The King gradually clutches his fingers into a closed fist. He lowers his arm, stiffly. Then, he takes a step back.

Michal wipes at her bloody lips with the edge of her sleeve.

"You can fight it all you want. The truth always wins, David. You cannot escape it. Nor can you outrun your secrets."

A muscle in his cheek flinches. He rears a tightened fist backward. It happened so suddenly the first time. I had no time to react, to do anything, but I knew I wouldn't let him do it again. I couldn't.

I lurched forward. I defied the voices inside me that tried to pull me back to the safety of silence. While collapsing clumsily in front of Michal I gripped King David's arm poised to strike.

"Please," I whimpered, internally scorning myself for sounding so weak.

"Stop this," I pleaded with him, capturing his eyes with a strength I did not know I possessed.

His eyes peered back into mine, and I watched them soften as the anger faded. I tried to bite back the premature tears stinging the lining of my eyes. I felt his arm gradually relax.

It fell to his side, but I didn't let go. I slid my hand down to his fingers and gripped them tightly while my other palm cupped his elbow. He yanks it away in a sharp motion, turning to ascend the dais and his throne.

While his back is turned to us I steal the chance to stand and collect myself. When I look behind me I see Michal is still slumped on the ground, her face expressionless and wet from cold tears.

I stoop down, place my hands on both of her arms, and gradually guide her up. Our eyes meet. She searches me cautiously. I can sense her distrust and bitterness, but what I don't feel emanating from her in this moment is hatred. All of our previous encounters I've been met with nothing but disdain from this high born princess.

"Did you try to kill me," I ask, my eyes still penetrating hers.

She shakes her head and immediately winces.

"No," She spits, through clenched teeth.

"Go have that tended to," I whisper, eyeing the oozing gash on her cheek.

She simply nods and steals away into the shadows. Once she has disappeared I am filled with strange relief. Michal is no friend of mine, not like Abigail is to me. So why am I so happy that the King can no longer hurt her?

I already know the answer. No woman deserves to be humiliated and struck like that, whoever she may be.

"If you think this is over, you are mistaken."

His deep, sultry voice pulls me from my thoughts.

"I believe her!"

"Why?"

Sitting up on his throne he over towers me. I feel small, but despite how I feel I keep my chin tilted high.

"I know truth when I see it. There was no deception in her eyes."

He lifts his hand from the armrest and rubs his lips methodically as he takes in my words.

"Someone threatened your life, Bathsheba. I do not take this lightly. If they had succeeded you would not be before me right now... Someone must be held responsible!"

"And they will," I reassure him.

"It has to be the right person, though," I add.

He is silent for a long time. His fingers gently rubbing the surface of his mouth and chin as he ponders hard.

"Very well," he sighs, defeated.

"But I will find out who did this. And if it is Michal, as I have been led to believe, there will be nothing you can say or do to protect her from my wrath."

I nod my head in understanding, but also to hide the fear his voice has evoked on my face. I take a step backwards, preparing to leave, but immediately halt when he starts to speak.

"Until someone is found and punished you are not safe. You will not return to your chambers. You will stay in mine. I am the only one I trust to keep you and our child safe."

My heart sinks. Emotions bittersweet course through me. I feel a slight since of victory over the influence I held over the King, but fear over his threats. Confusion and relief also stir inside me when I think of Michal and what transpired with her here today.

The palace has felt like a prison since I was brought here, but now the walls feel like they are closing in on me. I hope I did the right thing in believing in Michal.

A nagging thought lurks in my mind. I try to suppress it.

I truly hope my faith in Michal is not in vain. Otherwise, the price of mercy may be too high.  Especially, when it means I am now going to be even more under the King's watchful eye.