Chapter Nineteen | Treachery Unveiled

An internal battle wages inside of me. Do I dare trust the words of a complete stranger over my most beloved grandfather? Even if I were to take the risk and try to unravel the mystery Zev planted in my mind, what would I even look for? His warning was vague and cryptic. His eyes burned with knowledge and secrets that lie within. The urge to unravel those secrets pulses through my veins. I need to know.

When the sun rises over Jerusalem, I rise with it. I slip out into the hall long before my attendants swarm my bed-chamber to feed, bathe, and dress me for the day. As I travel down the nearly empty hallways, guards give me curious glances. They do not break their silence nor their stoic poses. When I reach my grandfather's chamber, I do not knock.

I push against the latch, making the hinges release a drawn-out whine. Much to my surprise, the chamber is empty. I quietly shut the door behind me. The latch clicks, its sound echoing in the barren room. The dimness that still lingers in his room strains my eyes. I search the room for a lamp or candle and find one lying on the lampstand next to grandfather's cot.

I retrieve the small lamp, palming it in my petite hands. Then, I ignite the wick using the stones of flint that were laid next to the lamp on the lampstand. The light lessens the strain on my eyes and I start to scan the room. I am not sure what it is I am supposed to be looking for. Grandfather does not have a lot of objects. Stacks of books occupy one corner, his bed the other, and his lampstand is wedged between the two.

Then, something catches my eye. There is something underneath my grandfather's bed. I cannot quite make out what it is. I stoop to the ground, clutching my stomach in one hand and the lamp in the other. Then, I set the lamp on the floor at my knees. The object is a beautifully weaved basket. It looks familiar to me. Why is grandfather hiding it?

The door released an eery creak. I gasp as I realize that my grandfather has returned. Timidly, I peer over my shoulder. He greets me with wide eyes and a cocked bushy eyebrow.

"Bathsheba?"

I turn my gaze back to the basket. My fingers trace along the edge where the cover meets the body of the basket. I want to see what is inside.

"What are you doing," He asked, urgency entering his voice.

I know where I have seen this exact basket. King David held it in his hands as evidence against Baruch. A cacophony of hisses had erupted from it. Lying within were deadly snakes. The same kind that was found in my bed-chamber. The same kind that slithered through my bed and very nearly ended my life. All it would have taken was one bite. I say nothing. Instead, I hit the side of the basket. The dreaded sound of hissing fills the air. Simultaneously tears fill my eyes and begin to pour down my cheeks.

"How could you?!"

Pushing against my knees with my palms, I slowly rise to my feet.

"Bathsheba it is not what it looks like!"

He rushes towards me, his silhouette is a blur. I can barely see through the tears. The door slams shut behind him. His hands grip my shoulders sharply. I wince at the pressure.

"Sit down. Give me a chance to explain," He croaks, desperation in his voice.

I shake my head.

"How can you possibly explain this?"

He pushes me backward until my knees hit the edge of his cot. I fall back, plopping on the bed. Next, he reaches underneath the bed and pulls out the basket. The top is flung to the floor. My mouth opens in horror as I watch him stick his arm inside the basket. He winces, then retracts his arm. Two puncture holes dot his wrist. Blood begins to trickle down his hand.

"These snakes are harmless. They are almost identical to the vipers the King found in Baruch's room. They possess the same color stripes, but not the same arrangement. I would never endanger you, Bathsheba."

I stare at him, dumbfounded. A thousand questions race through my mind. All I can muster is, "Why?"

He sighs. Instead of answering my question right away he searches the floor for the cover. His bone creak as he stoops to pick it up. He places the covering on top of the basket, hiding the snakes from view. Relief washes over me when he places the basket the corner of the room farthest from me. farthest corner of the room. I despise snakes.

When he realizes he can no longer stall he comes to sit down beside me. His shoulder brushes against mine. I look up at him, simultaneously, gripping the sides of my veil for comfort.

"Our family has many enemies Bathsheba. There are people who envy our connection to the crown, the legacy me and your father have made for our family name, and our station. Anything I do, is to preserve and protect what I have worked my whole life to achieve. You must trust me," He explains, calmly and in a soft manner. The desperation and irritation from that was in his voice just minutes ago, now a distant memory.

"Michal almost lost her head because of you! An innocent man lost his life..."

I rise from the bed as fury begins to boil in my veins. It melts away the shock. He snatches my wrist, gripping it tightly in his hand.

"I did not intend for Michal to be harmed. Whatever you may think of me, know this: Baruch was far from innocent."

I yank my wrist free of his clutches and scoff in disgust. Before I can reach the door and take my exit, he beats me there. His large frame blocks the doorway, keeping me trapped in his chambers.

"You will stay here until you swear to me never to tell a soul what I have revealed to you."

My eyes widen in disbelief. My own grandfather is threatening me?

"I have seen through the facade you live behind. I know now your true character. I'm heartbroken, grandfather. This does not change how much I love you, but it will forever change the way I look at you." His eyes soften by my words, but he stands unmoved, still blocking my only exit.

"You may be my grandfather but I am royalty. I command you to step aside this instant."

He says nothing. His arms fall to his sides defeatedly and he steps away from the door. I lurch forward, gripping the latch with untamed urgency. The door flings open and a loud clang rings out as it slams into the wall. Then, I dart into the hallway.