Chapter Ten | Foreshadow

"How can you do this?!"

His eyes flicker up to mine, the corners of his lips pulled into a crooked frown. This small semblance of remorse gives me hope. He strides towards me and I begin to feel small. His lean figure towers over me, his shadow engulfing mine.

He reaches his hand to my swollen stomach and spreads his fingers across the top of my concealed mound. The deep red sash tightens my dress above my waist causing the fabric to flow loosely over my stomach. It's a perfect illusion, but it can't hide anything from him.

My spine stiffens from the contact. Nausea pulses through me as I'm reminded of all the ways he touched me that night. Something sour fills my mouth and I force it back down with a quick swallow.

"Everything I do now is for our child," He answers.

I shake my head.

"I can't do it. I won't! Uriah is-is-"

"-Dead!"

I gasp sharply as if the words that just pierced my heart were particles of salt being poured into a deep wound. I take a shaky step backward, putting space between us. My lip begins to tremble. I bite down on it hard, trying to control it.

"He wasn't just my husband. Uriah was your second. He rose to your side when Saul hunted to kill you. He fought in every battle until you were crowned King and even after that. He was your friend. Have you forgotten?"

He scoffs.

"I'm the King. Exceptions can be made for me. The people will understand that better than when you suddenly blossom overnight as a widow. You are unmarried and pregnant. Have you forgotten? I have given you time to mourn your husband. Your mourning is over. I cannot delay bringing you into my house."

One month to mourn my childhood sweetheart hardly seems sufficient. I open my mouth, ready to spew more protests but I clamp it shut when I hear the double doors to the King's chambers creek open. We both divert our attention to the grey-haired man, with deep-set wrinkles in his cheeks, limping towards us.

"Nathan," The King says addressing him.

The elderly man captures my eyes as he walks past me. A thin smile spreads across his cracked lips. I nod my head at him. Then, he turns toward the king and gradually bows, shaking as his hunched back bends slightly forward.

"You sent for me, Your Highness," Nathan says, his voice raspy and coarse.

"I need you to marry us."

Nathan's eyes glance back to me. They slowly travel down the length of my body. I suddenly feel self-conscious. He tugs on his beard with his fingers a few times before speaking.

"I know you, child."

"You do," I ask.

It would not be uncommon for me to be recognized by someone in court. My father was Eliam, one of The Thirty- Seven Men and was a frequent guest in the palace. As one of the King's Mighty Men, he prospered and rose in the ranks among the people.

"You are Bathshua. Eliam's little girl."

"I am Bathshua no more. My name is now Bathsheba," I explain to him.

He nods his head in understanding. It is normal for my people to change their names once they come of age.

"I am sorry for your loss. Uriah was a good and honorable man who served this kingdom and his family well."

I am touched by his words. I offer him a tight smile in gratitude. Nathan faces the King again. His back seems to straighten with an unspoken authority.

"The Lord sees what you have done, David. You cannot hide your sin from him. Forget your shame and spare this poor woman any more pain... Before it's too late."

My jaw drops in shock at his blunt and unrestrained truth. Something in David's eyes fades. His eyes fall to the floor, refusing to meet Nathan's.

"I will have no part in this. And so I must take my leave, Sire."

Nathan Swivels on his heels, beginning the long journey to the doors.

"You forget who I am, old man," He growls, anger lacing his words.

Nathan halts but doesn't bother to turn around. Calmly he says, his eyes still trained on the doors, "God made you King, David. And like Saul, he can take away your crown. No one is above the law."

David waves a dismissive hand in the air. With a fist clenched over his mouth and one clasping his hip he storms onto the balcony. Loneliness wraps its cold arms around me but I feel a jolt inside me. I gasp and clutch my stomach. I look down and pretend I can see past the fabric and my own skin to the baby nestled within.

"Hello to you too," I whisper as warmth spreads through my body fighting off the cold. Despite the chaos consuming my life, he is the only thing that brings me peace and strength.