Chapter Forty | Beneath A Dimly Lit Sky

No one would answer my questions. Every palace worker was being tight lipped about Abigail, or they genuinely had not heard a word about her whereabouts. I had so many questions I needed answered. Guilt kept me tossing and turning at night. I felt so lost and alone, without David here to reassure me. He had never let so much time go by without visiting my chambers or summoning me to his. Weeks went by like this, and I felt myself slowly begin to fade away. The walls of my chambers shrunk in around me. The gardens lost their usual appeal. I sat, and waited, and nothing.

"My Lady," One of my handmaidens whispered, breaking me from my thoughtless trance.

"I do not mean to interrupt you," she said, a bit louder this time. "You have not needed your monthly cloths yet..."

My eyes widened at her words. She looked concerned at my sudden alertness.

"Has it really been that long," I asked. The young girl nodded her head, a grin blossoming on her face. I did not want to get my hopes up again, but if there was even the slightest chance, I wanted to know.

"Summon a midwife or a physician," I commanded. I leapt up from my chair, re-energized at the possibility of new life inside of me. Dare I even allow myself to dream? Then it dawned on me. If I was pregnant not only would this be an answer to my prayers, but it could very well be Abigail's salvation. If I handled it right.

*~*~*~*~

My previous summons had gone ignored for weeks. Worry gripped me that David would turn me away once more. It was much harder for him to turn me away in person than it was a servant delivering a message on behalf. Before I did not have the heart to show my face, guilt paralyzing me and confining me to my room. The wide, looming doors creaked on their hinges and the guards opened them.

"David," I called out, once I entered the threshold. It was dark, sparsely lit in his chambers. My eyes refocused and began to scan the room for his whereabouts. A shadow loomed over the balcony railing, overlooking the kingdom below. White linen blew carelessly with the evening breeze, shielding the precipice of the balcony's entrance.

"David," I yelled. My voice carrying farther this time. He turned to search for me in the lingering shadows of his chambers. Unchecked tears began to run down my cheeks. Without any warning I curled myself into his chest and wrapped my arms around his torso. He groaned at the force of impact. Quickly recovering, he wrapped those warm broad arms around me. His sharp chin rested on top of my veiled head. I breathed in his scent, inhaling him.

"Bathsheba," He murmured into my hair. "I've missed you."

"Then why did you keep me away for so long?" My voice cracked. He heard it too, because his grip around me immediately tightened in response.

"I had to have clear head as I investigated what you told me. You cloud my judgment. In order to dispense true justice, I must be unbiased." His explanation made sense, though it still stung. His hands traveled up my back and gently clasped my cheeks. He nudged my face upward, forcing my eyes to meet his.

"You're trembling? Are you that worried for Abigail?"

I had not realized I had been shaking.

"I will trade you a secret for a secret. Tell me she is well. That you have not harmed her. I will not impede your judgment. I only ask to assuage my own guilt."

He sucked in a tight, dry breath, through his teeth.

"What guilt? You are guiltless in this situation, Bathsheba. But I will play your game. You have my resolve weakened by the sight of you." His voice was low and husky as he uttered those last words. It sent a visible shiver through my spine.

"She's alive and well taken care of. She is under house arrest until the child is born."

"Whose? How?" It was all I could muster to ask.

"A secret for a secret." He smiled coyly at me, but his eyes could not mask the pain that lingered beneath. I sighed and nodded my head, satisfied that she was alive and being taken care of. I would cling to that bit of truth. Relief washed through me. My heart felt lighter. Butterflies took flight in the pit of my stomach as his eyes narrowed in on me. He surveyed me quietly with those green orbs.

"David, I'm with child."

The green in his eyes shimmered brighter than I had ever seen them before. He scoffed, with unbelief, a crooked smile beginning to spread on one side of his face. He did not say a word. Instead, David grabbed me with a fierce urgency, claiming my lips. He pressed his body against mine, while he ravished my mouth- leaving searing heat in his wake. With a fluid motion, I was lifted off my feet. I did not dare break away from his kisses to see what was happening. I trusted him. With unfaltering strength, he carried me from under the cover of dark clouds and dimly lit stars, to the unbroken darkness of his chambers.

His kisses unceasing, he planted me firmly on top of his bed. Still no words had been spoken, but with every stroke, every fiery kiss he trailed across my lips and skin, was worth more than any words he could have uttered. He was speechless. And as he continued to devour me, I too eventually lost my use for words.