TLTH Chapter Thirty-One

A/N: Faster update, yay! This chapter doesn't have a lot that happens in it but it was really good to show a sweet Jesse and Raine relationship building moment and Zoe regretting being a dick. Feedback is always welcome!

This Love, This Hate

Chapter Thirty-One

                Once upstairs in Raine's bedroom with the door locked with a new security code accompanied by a freshly installed deadbolt in place, Jesse slowly lead Raine into her bathroom walking behind her with his hands on her frail shoulders to steady her and keep her on task. She swayed and slurred through a story she was attempting to tell him, but as he gingerly spun her and sat her atop the plush teal toilet seat cover all he could do was look at her empathetically and allow her to finish.

                "Raine, that's a bloody good story, but we need to get you cleaned up and in bed, alright?" Jesse suggested with careful enunciation and eye contact.

                "Clothes are so constricting." Raine whined, tugging at the strings on her bottom. Jesse fought back laughter and blushed slightly.

                "Shall I leave you to it then?" He asked, though he doubted she'd be able to successfully shower alone with this much alcohol having power over her.

                "No!" She cried, eyes filling with tears as she clutched desperately onto Jesse's toned biceps.

                "Alright, alright doll. Hey, I'm here, I'm not leaving, alright? Let's get you some clothes, eh? It's alright, I promise you." Jesse murmured, all of his anger and feelings out the window. Despite her drunkenness, he knew she needed him right here, right now.

                "I can't...I can't be alone after...after the..." Raine trailed off, the tears streaming down her face as she melted down into Jesse's lap without warning. He encircled her in his capable arms and lifted her with ease, cradling her like a child, "I just can't..."

                "I know," Jesse sighed, kissing her temple and walking carefully into her closet, "What do you want to sleep in?"

                "Safety." She sniffed, looking up longingly into his eyes.

                "I think we can find something that alludes to that," Jesse allowed, giving her a squeeze before smiling warmly, "Do you think I could set you down so I can find you something to wear?" Raine nodded wordlessly and he situated her on the velvet teal ottoman nearby before finding an oversized sweater, some fresh panties, and a pair of silken silver pajama pants, knowing she didn't sleep in a bra; what senseless woman would? After his findings, he turned to meet her weary, almost mournful gaze and flashed her another smile full of compassion and understanding, "Are you ready for that shower?"

                "Please don't leave me alone..." She trailed off, standing to follow him nonetheless.

                "Um, are you su—" Jesse started, blushing darkly as she cut him off.

                "I don't know my sexual orientation right now, I'll admit but I do know I just can't...can't be alone right now. Ever. I love and trust you and...and...just...yes, I'm sure." Raine babbled, more tears cascading down her pale rounded face as he  readied the water for her.

                Jesse nodded and set her things on the toilet before shedding his clothes and hers in the most respectful and non-invasive way possible. He stepped in first and then gestured for her to join, arms wide open if she needed help. She shivered against the cool air from the vent above her and took a steadying breath before taking his hand and allowing him to help her into the shower, where water shot at them in every direction with the perfect amount of pressure.  Without warning, Raine wrapped her arms tightly around Jesse's waist, clinging to him and sobbing violently, tremors shaking her body to the core along with the each sob. Jesse hopped slightly in surprise before wrapping one arm tightly around her in support and stroking her hair with the other, softly shushing and coaxing her.