TLTH Chapter 28

A/N Sorry it's been so long I had writer's block for a while and I've had recent health issues with my thyroid. but FINALLY I am updating this story and hopefully will have another in the near future. I'm unblocked now (hopefully)

This Love, This Hate

Chapter Twenty-Eight

                “She’s asleep.” Malarie murmured to Jesse as she entered the waiting room to join the others.

                “Great. Can we talk?” Jesse asked with a look in his eyes that dared her to deny him.

                “Uh, sure. I could use some fresh air.” Malarie awkwardly obliged. Jesse wrapped an arm tightly around her waist and lead her outside in total silence with a blank irritable expression overcoming his features.

                “Mal, hand me your phone.” Jesse ordered, shoving his hand out expectantly as he turned to face her.

                “What? No! Why are you acting like this?” She shot back defensively as her phone buzzed against her thigh.

                “If it’s just a friend there should be no problem.” Jesse pointed out coolly, though his eyes held the blaze of a thousand fires of jealousy in them.

                “Fine. Here!” Malarie clipped, tapping a response and slapping her phone into his palm.

                “So, this Easton guy is your ‘friend’ from home?” Jesse mused, opening and beginning to scan through the conversation, “I’m finding that to be a stretch of the term. ‘Mal, I can’t wait to hold you in my arms again. I’ll find a way to be the guy for you I used to, I promise’ sounds like a lot more than just a friend!” Jesse yelled.

                “We’ve only been together a few days, Jesse! The jealousy is a little misplaced, don’t you think?!” Malarie shot back hotly.

                “What are you talking about?” He demanded.

                “I may have been drunk the night of the party, but I remember what you said in the hot tub. Even if I didn’t, it’s painfully obvious!” Malarie elaborated, “You’re in love with Zoe.”

                “Then you must remember wrong. You’re out of your mind.” Jesse rushed to defend.

                “Am I? This wouldn’t bother you if you weren’t so jealous of Raine.” Malarie bluntly retorted.

                “I’m all about you, Mal. Some guy is stealing all of your attention and I’m scared he’ll eventually steal you away from me.” Jesse insisted before handing her back her phone. He wasn’t sure he meant or believed his words, but he’d learn to. Of course, he wasn’t in love with Zoe; he couldn’t be. She and he would never happen. Though his heart reasoned differently, he knew he needed to go with his head.

                “I’m sorry Jesse, but you’re going to have to prove that to me.” Mal replied softly.

                “I was hoping something like this might suffice,” Jesse murmured, gently cupping the back of her head and looking into her eyes, mirrors of Zoe’s and tenderly kissing her before pulling away to gauge her response.

                “You’ll have to kiss me better than that to get your point across.” Malarie breathed against his lips until their met again. Maybe he did mean it, maybe someone actually wanted her who wasn’t across the country after all. Maybe she could finally have love like Zoe.

~

                “You need to give him a chance. He’s really trying.” Mrs. Farr urged in the waiting room as they let Zoe sleep undisturbed.

                “Oh, you mean the guy you had a full dinner with before coming here?” Malarie clipped.

                “I told you I’m sorry about that! It was a lapse in judgment.” Mrs. Farr replied evenly.

                “It shouldn’t have happened. There should have been no thought in your mind other than getting to your daughter, mom! Just because we were here doesn’t mean you had a free pass! Have your maternal instincts been completely fried or what? I know I’m being disrespectful but I am seriously not going to just say you’re forgiven and move on. You made a mistake, a big one. And you need to make it up to Zoe and I.” Malarie stated curtly while at her side Jesse fought back a smile. He’d never sene such fire in her.

                “That’s true, but we also automatically wrote off Paul. It osunds to me like it was your mother’s choice, not his. He just got thrown into this all. We don’t know him or his story and we are punishing him for that, Malarie. I’m not playing Devil’s advocate, I’m just saying.” Raine reminded softly. It was the first thing she’d offered into the situation and all eyes turned to her in shock. “What? Just because I’ve been quiet and blaming myself doesn’t mean I don’t have an opinion.”

                “Thank you, Raine. Right?” Paul responded with a grateful smile. She nodded and his smile grew, “I’d like to take a rain check on this dinner once Zoe is up to it. I really do care for your mother and I would like to get to know all of you as well.”

                “You ‘care for her?’” Malarie scoffed, “How long have you known her? A week? A day? Not even twenty-four hours?”

                “Malarie Christine Farr that is enough!” Mrs. Farr snapped with maternal fury, “I’ve worked with Paul the past four years, thank you. He was asked to move here as well. Now I’d appreciate it if you held your tongue or changed your attitude, little miss. I made a mistake and…” She grew quiet and took a calming breath, looking back at her daughter with now misty eyes, “And…I know I’ve made a lot of those lately with a lot of men, but Paul feels and I’m hoping is different. Yes, he is quite a bit younger but that’s not that big of a deal to me, as you well know by now. Your father was also considerably younger.”

                “You’re right, mom. I’m sorry. I’m really struggling with forgiving you right now but I’ll work on it. This is a stressful time for everyone. I’m worried about Zoe. Our twin telepathy isn’t really functioning right now.” Malarie sighed, resting her head on Jesse’s shoulder and blinking back tears. She just wanted her sister to be okay and to be Zoe again, not a feeble body alone in a sterilized room.