TLTH Chapter Nineteen

This Love, This Hate

Chapter Nineteen

                “I still call bullshit.” Zoe stated bluntly after Missy and Malarie explained everything.

                “She needs a chance to show she’s changed.” Raine defended.

                “Oh, so now you’re defending her? After everything she said?” Zoe questioned.

                “Yes, no, I don’t know. What I’m saying is she needs a chance to prove she’s being honest.” Raine clarified.

                “She doesn’t ‘need’ shit. Not from me.” Zoe snapped.

                “You know what, Zoe?” Raine shot back, “I’ve been her best friend since first grade. So you can either do this for me or shut your gorgeous mouth. Okay?”

                “Then I choose to shut my gorgeous mouth at this point until she gives me reason to do otherwise. Come on Jesse.” Zoe decided, standing on the built-in bench and hoisting herself out of the pool. Missy started crying and Jesse climbed out to follow Zoe to the hammock.

                “Zoe, you never gave her a chance in the first place!” Malarie called after her.

                “Jesse, you are a god-send.” Zoe muttered, laying casually halfway curled into Jesse in the hammock while they both dripped pool water through the woven holes.

                “You know, they do have a point though.” Jesse commented cautiously, “Not that I’m taking sides. Please don’t tear into me…I’m just a boy.”

                “You’re so full of shit.” Zoe chuckled, playfully swatting his chest and looking up into his eyes. “How did it go with Henry?”

                “I bailed.” Jesse confessed shyly, “He pulled a gun out of his—”

                “WHAT?!” Zoe interrupted as she propped herself up on her elbow and stared incredulously at him.

                “Shh!” Jesse hissed, putting a finger to her mouth, “He pulled a gun out of his glovebox when we were getting ready to go in and then we saw my d---he was still in there. At that point, I walked back here and Henry still isn’t back. So I don’t know.”

                “Your what? Your dad? The guy squatting in your place is your dad? Fuck, Jesse. Why didn’t you tell me that?” Zoe questioned.

                “Ouch, Zoe!” Jesse groaned over-dramatically.

                “What? I didn’t do anything to you.” Zoe snapped defensively.

                “Really? I swear the new asshole you just gave me is gushing out blood right this moment.” Jesse pointed out with a humorous glint in his eye. Zoe smacked him again and they just laughed together. “Seriously though, yes…it’s my old man. I didn’t want to tell you right away because well, I didn’t think you would take it well. Clearly, I was right.”

                “I’m taking it just fine.” Zoe muttered.

                “That you are.” Jesse replied with a doubtful glance her way.

                “Okay, I’m not. In my defense, I’m pretty aggravated right now.” Zoe sighed, rubbing her forehead before letting herself fall into Jesse and hug him, smiling at the warmth and comfort it brought despite the fact that both of them were dripping in cold chlorine water.